How To Sleeve Your Cables And Wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

turboFX55

In Runtime
How To Sleeve Your Cables And Wires 101

When I responded to the recent wire sleeving post, I got an a huge amount of PM's about it. So if this post is in violation ADMIN's please let me know!

WIRE SLEEVING 101

#1 Here is all the stuff you need to complete you job, now keep in mind this is just for a standard SATA cable. If you are wanting to do this to your power supply, it will take a few extra tools, and it is also a little more complex. OK first you will need a pair of good scissors, a micro torch or heat gun, and a phillips head screwdriver "optional". You will also need the supplys to get the job done. That will be colored sleeving correct size. The heat shrink tubing which is about double the size of the part which you want it to be tight around.
11va1.jpg

#2 Go ahead and measure out your sleeving to the cable or wire that you want to wrap. Cut about and inch short "1/2 inch on each side", this will give you good room for the cable to flex.
27cq.jpg

#3 Use you pinky finger or optional screwdriver and expand the end so that you slip the cable into one side.
32il.jpg

#4 Start to feed the end of the cable or wire in to the end of the sleeving, be sure that you do not make the end frey to much or it will mess it all up, this might take a couple of trys to get right.
41wa1.jpg

#5 This is the fun part. Take both hands and push the tubing together so that the inner coils will expand and allow you to slide the cable through.
51jt.jpg

#6 After you get the first part into the sleeving, the rest will become easy. Go ahead and finish running the cable all the way through the sleeving.
66mb.jpg

#7 This is what you should get if you have done all these steps so far correctly.
71xu.jpg

#8 Now take your scissors and VERY CAREFULLY clean up the ends that may have a little frey to them.
85fa.jpg

#9 Go ahead and measure out your heatshrink tubing, i like to leave about an inch to an inch and a half to give good room for the cable to look good and not have any more freys.
96je.jpg

#10 Now cut the tubing and then measure out a second piece the same size unless you want different sizes then just make sure you have enough to cover and part of the sleeving that had freys.
109vn.jpg

#11 Open up the end of the heat shrink and make sure that it will go over the end of the cable or the wire with out having to put stress on it, so that it wont cause any rip or damage.
113mr.jpg

#12 Feed the tubing over the end and make sure that you tuck any freys into the tubing as well, if you do not it will cause the sleeving to frey more, and mess everything up.
128em.jpg

#13 When you feed it the tubing on the cable, get it to the point where you want or makes it look good.
132gd.jpg

#14 Now take you heat gun or micro torch and do quick passes over the heat shrink so that it starts to shrink in place. DONT stay in one place to long or you will burn the tubing, sleeving, and maybe your cable.
161ap.jpg

#15 This is what the cable should look like when all done, make sure that you turn the heat gun or micro torch off, so that you dont burn any thing down.
172am.jpg

#16 There you go all finished, you are now one cable closer to getting you rig to look AWSOME!!!
183aw.jpg

Now you can do this to many different types of devices. some take more work then others, like the fan in this picture. But when said and done, you will be the proud owner of a super nice looking rig!
198nc.jpg

If I missed anything PM me and I will fix it, also if you need any help or have questions about any kind of case modding, I am very good in any kind of lexan or plexiglass!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom