Fix Master Boot Record

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuller9779

Solid State Member
Hello,

Last year I set up my computer to dual boot into windows and linux. I put in the linux cd and it kind of automatically configured the os selector.

I am getting a new computer so I am giving this computer to a friend. I can't figure out how to remove linux and the boot selector.

I want it simply to start up in windows everytime without having to select an operating system. Can anyone help me with this or point me in the right direction?

I know it has something to do with the MBR, but my knowledge on that isn't too deep. Thank you in advance for any help.

- Matt

Remove dual boot

Thank you for that site. However it explains about the boot.ini.

My problem is, the os choser is the "Grub." It is on the my linux partition. Oon the "Grub", I can choose either linux or windows. What I want to do it remove this from however it gets loaded.

How can I make it so windows simply loads and not the "Grub"???

Then after I get that working I feel I can simply format the linux parition and merge it with the windows parition.

It Worked!

EricB that worked! thank you. I am still learning. Can you explain to me why that worked? What did linux do to change the mbr? thanks for your help!!!

Remember you said " I put in the linux cd and it kind of automatically configured the os selector ", well that's the reason. You let the bootloader install to the MBR, which was supposed to be in the Linix partition instead. So therefor, Grub loaded with the choices of Linux and Windows. Does that make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom