new hard drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chip00

Solid State Member
so i got a new 300 GB hard drive. i had some troubles installing it but i finally got my computer to recognize it and i can use it. but i would like to set it as my main hard drive. for example, i put in a game and it automatically tried to install to the old hard drive and i get a message that pops up and says "insufficiant space". I would like it to automatically try and use my new hard drive. i am not sure how to do this. I messed around with the set-up menu in DOS but all i got was a bunch of problems with starting my computer up, and it ended up taking me a few hours to get that back and running ok. so if someone could give me a few steps to set my hard drive as my main hard drive, that would be great.

You have to set the 300GB hard drive to your master, and your old one to your slave in the RAID configurations.

I think what you are looking for is changing the default install directory in windows.

1) Open Regedit (Start > Run > "regedit" > OK)
2) Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
3) Change "ProgramFilesDir" from "C:\Program Files" to where you would like all your programs to be installed to.

i just did that, and it didnt seem to make a difference. im not sure if i did it right. my new drive is named "X" and i set the programfilesdir from "C:/program files" to "X:/program files". but then i tried to install that cd, and a box popped up saying there is not enough space. it doesnt ever give me the option as to where to install it to so i have no choice. i only have a few MB left on my old hard drive so i would like to make sure everything else gets installed on my new hard drive.

Well, I'm not sure if it would matter, but I think you have to use a "\" instead of a "/". Also, did you restart your system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom