windows media center

Status
Not open for further replies.

gustav213

Baseband Member
windows media center HELP!!!

i am interested in building a little media center for the TV in my room. i have an old comp that i will be using, well not that old since it is only a pentium 4 socket 478 so i think it will be able to handle a media center for my room. ok here is the big question that i was not sure can i install windows media center in a computer that will not be hooked up to an hdtv or a cable box but to a coaxial cable from the wall. all i want to do with the pc is record shows during the day and burn my music into to, pictures, movies, burn movies that i rent, things like that. i am not sure if i can do that with media center if there is not a cable box hooked to it. any help greatly appreciated.

well you can get a TV-card from newegg.com or something and put regular Windows on the computer. You would now be able to plug a coax. cable into the TV-card, software comes with the card to be able to watch cable on your computer. Then you can record shows playing and burn stuff right from that computer

ok, i know if i get a coaxial from newegg.com i can hook the coax to it, but the reason i liked windows media center is because it is meant for making it like my home theatre. i have looked everywhere to see if WMC will work without a cable box, but jsut with the coax cable.

so i will be able to use WMC and have all the options of programing it to download tv guides and that but ofcourse ill only have the basic channels. is that what you are saying?

k im pretty sure im understood how to make this work, but the fm tuner thing is still puzzeling me. the thing is that i dont understand how the fm tuner works. what do i connect it to?

gustav213 said:
ok, i know if i get a coaxial from newegg.com i can hook the coax to it, but the reason i liked windows media center is because it is meant for making it like my home theatre. i have looked everywhere to see if WMC will work without a cable box, but jsut with the coax cable.

first of all im building a new media center pc but to start you cant hook a coax cable to your pc without getting a card for it

second it should work with or without a cable box cuz it is the same kind of signal

3rd is dont use wmc its to $$$ imo when u can use meedio which is better from what i hear and is $39 for the premium or there are also free progs out there that do the same thing as wmc

hope that helps

wow meedio looks pretty good. i was reading the forums and it seems that some people have gotten unstable using it. GBPVR also looks pretty good i was wondering if anyone had any experiences using them. i have to see because the reason i like windows is because i know i can trust microsoft if i have a problem. but i did like meedio a lot thanx for bringing it up i will look into it.

gustav213 said:
wow meedio looks pretty good. i was reading the forums and it seems that some people have gotten unstable using it. GBPVR also looks pretty good i was wondering if anyone had any experiences using them. i have to see because the reason i like windows is because i know i can trust microsoft if i have a problem. but i did like meedio a lot thanx for bringing it up i will look into it.

glad to help

but just fyi meedio still runs in windows and there for you get its stubility and you can still run windows progs

and for support idk how good it is but meedio uses a support ticket system like if you have a problem with your web serv as for microsoft there support is junk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom