need help repairing CD-RW drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

edvosder

Baseband Member
My neighboors just gave me their dead CD-RW drive. It woudl probably be easier for me to just buy a new one, but I want to get this one working. So first thing I do of course, open the sucker up. Please don't tell me to check and make sure my drivers are right because it's a bloody plug and play drive. Oh yea, the problem is that the drive doesn't see a cd when you put one in. So back to the point, I cracked the sucker open. What I have figured out so far: The lense is clean. The drive tray motor is functionally properly. The cd spin motor is working fine. The motor to move the lense is operating without problem. I put the drive in without the top on so that I could observe what it was doing. When the tray goes in, the lense shows a red laser, and if there's a cd, it will spin the cd. The lense seems to be sliding back and fourth without problem.

if youve opened it i woudnt waste time with it

done the same with an old dvd drive (same no read problem)

insides were mounted on screws with springs attached these screws are for aligning the angle of the disk so the laser can read it

i had no idea how to realign it so in the bin it went

(though i did toy with installing it anyway for use as a swanky cup holder lol)

edvosder said:
My neighboors just gave me their dead CD-RW drive. It woudl probably be easier for me to just buy a new one, but I want to get this one working. So first thing I do of course, open the sucker up. Please don't tell me to check and make sure my drivers are right because it's a bloody plug and play drive. Oh yea, the problem is that the drive doesn't see a cd when you put one in. So back to the point, I cracked the sucker open. What I have figured out so far: The lense is clean. The drive tray motor is functionally properly. The cd spin motor is working fine. The motor to move the lense is operating without problem. I put the drive in without the top on so that I could observe what it was doing. When the tray goes in, the lense shows a red laser, and if there's a cd, it will spin the cd. The lense seems to be sliding back and fourth without problem.

Stop wasteing you time,there almost giveing them away these days,my dealer told me they can't be fixed as they can't get parts.
It's like a Bick Lighter.one use.
:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom