Logitech USB mouse freeze... I really need help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salila

Beta member
I have a corded optical Logitech mouse on USB... One fine evening the cursor started playing dead... It just stops responding at its own leisure weather I am in the middle of dragging it across the screen or if left alone (and I find it stiff and completely numb). In such a state the mouse buttons do nothing, they are dead too BUT the diodes in the mouse alight when I move the mouse. I gather it's not the mouse itself. The OS works just fine by the way. If I hibernate the PC while the cursor is at clinical death and bring it out of hibernation the cursor revives but only for a few minutes. The same happens if I switch it off completely and than turn the PC back on. If I unplug the mouse from the USB (while dead) and plug it back in... it comes to life BUT only for a while. I tried switching to other free USB ports - same. I have updated the mouseware but to no avail. At the same time the regular Genius on PS/2 works just fine in every occasion. I have also noticed that when this mouse is put on the PS/2 adapter it goes frantic at times ...the cursor flies off to the other side of the screen flickering as if I just pressed the right mouse button. Also, when on PS/2 both the mouse and keyboard tend to freeze at the same time... not regularly but mostly after boot up... I dare say I get messages in DOS (at boot up) saying no keyboard present... this mends after another reboot... This kind of thing happens occasionally but goes away on its own (it has not happened for ages)

I have a A7V333 asus Momboard and WinXP with SP 1 & 2. The configuration was ALWAYS the same. I did nothing prior to this problem (like, mess with drivers or add new hardware, nor did I add software)... the mouse worked fine since day 1 (and that's a long time now!).

Here's what I tried:

I tried updating USB 2 drivers - nothing
I tried unchecking the save power option in the device manager - nothing
I tried a fresh XP install - nothing (ruled out viruses and the such)

This mouse works on another machine (even on different USB ports). Other USB mice have been plugged on my machine and all work... but this freeze issue doesn't have a timing. Last night, for example, it worked for 5h straight and then got stiff.

Its interesting to say that after each reinstall of the USB 2 driver (without reboot) the mouse revives! Another thing - in the mouse settings of the control panel there is a drop down menu that lets you select either USB mouse or PS/2 (because I have both on). When the USB mouse goes dead this option turns, by itself, from Wheel mouse on USB port to Wheel mouse on PS/2 port... selecting it to go back it will do but upon reopening the same window, it still is on PS/2...

Now, I would not have got into such length if this mouse wasn't very important to me... it fits my needs so I really would not like to change it... so please if anyone can help... I am loosing my mind...
:(
Maya
www.naidiriv.com

Might be so but I don't know how to mend this... where to look. Its stuck right now and I am using the PS/2 Genius now to get around. If I were to install the USB 2 driver again the mouse would come to life. Same would happen if I unplugged it and plugged it back in... I have no idea what to tweak... If the mouse lacked power supply it would not shine (the led), right?

Maya
www.naidiriv.com

Problem solved... The mouse is unfortunately going out... It has been tried on another machine again and shows the same symptoms...

Maya

try the mouse on a nother comp.. if it works fine Remove the drivers for it and reinstall em :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom