LF: LCD Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaara

Fully Optimized
I have a bit of money I've decided to put into an LCD as my room is already small enough and the CRT doesn't help things

I want it to be at least 17"...19" if possible but it isn't neccesary...it needs to have an 8ms response time and be able to smoothly display games...native resolution can't be any larger than 1280x1240, and I would prefer fullscreen to a widescreen

I'd also like to keep the cost down if at all possible as I've already spent enough money on hardware this year as it is...and a decent warranty is always a plus

Shoot

Bit too much money for me to spend

I am currently debating between a BenQ FP71G+ 17" monitor and a Samsung Syncmaster 740B 17"...I was looking at a 19" Samsung 915N since it had a $50 instant rebate but that seems to have expired now and I don't really wanna spend too much on this crap...I was also really tempted by an Acer 19" but it had some whacked out 1440x900 resolution that threw me off

I don't really think I need a 19" as my room is small enough...but if you can find a good one that prices competetively with a 17" I will consider it

whew, I bet the picture on that viewsonic is amazing. The difference between 17" and 19" wouldn't really hurt you as far as room space goes.

I know basically nothing about LCD monitors besides they are flat :p My friend got himself one not too long ago, was a 19" and has a pretty good picture....don't know what the response time is but I could ask him see which one he got. However I believe he got lucky and newegg had it on sale for like $229 and it's normal price was above $350

Dont be fooled by the viewsonic 4ms claimed time, thats only from one shade of grey to another. I recently bought a Hyndai L72s monitor and its very nice.

17 inch
8 ms response time
700:1 contrast ratio (very nice, blacks look like black not dark grey)
fullscreen 1280x1024 native resolution

All response times that are claimed are somewhat lies, they all advertise only the one they want you to see, going from certain shades to another can take a lot longer then the advertised response time. Ive never noticed any ghosting at all on this one though, and i play a lot of first person shooters.

Also I'd only but LCD monitors at a store, make them plug it in for you so you can see if theres any dead pixels, mine has 0. If you dont care about a dead pixel though go ahead and order online.

Also Id stay away from 19 inch lcd myself but thats completely up to you. This is because if you notice they run at the same rse at the 17 inch lcds, meaning that the dot pitch is larger, thus the image is less sharp. In video games I notice it so Id stick to 17 inchers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom