problems.. help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggjoee5790

In Runtime
ok i put my processor in my mobo... but my heatsink doest seem to fit properly. let me see if i can explain this. i can clip the 2 sides in but i have to use quite a bit of force. i can get it clipped into place but its so tight that i cant even push down the lever on the side of the fan that locks it in place. im wondering if i need that lever. The heatsink is not moving at all and seems to be secure. can i forget about using the lever to lock it in? BTW its an AMD Athlon..the heatsink came with it. it seems like the bent piece of metal that goes through the heatsink needed to be bent open just a really small bit more.. so it would be looser. should i leave it as is, or take everything off and try to loosen it?

yes, you will need a little force but its hard to tell how much force your talking about. Well the whole thing is meant to be very tight so just leave it as it is, if it came with the the processor then there should be no worries

PZEROFGH said:
are you sure your lever isnt already in the locked position?

nope.. its in the up position. its hard to describe how much force i needed... i mean i could tell the problem was that eaither the mobo clips where the heatsink locks into were a fraction of an inch too wide, or the metal bar that goes through the heatsink needed to be bent a little bit to make it fit looser. im just really worried that somethings wrong and i dont know what to do. the heatsink isnt moving it seems secure so i dont know if i should leave it without the lever down.... or take the heatsink off and somehow bent the metal bar to make a better fit. you dont understand how stressed out i am over this.. i just have this terrible feeling that i put to much pressure on the CPU. i thought this building wouldnt be to hard..im just worried that i broke something cause ill be out alot of money

anyone else have another opinion?... im thinking of leaving it as it is. if the temperature stays in a good range then it shouldnt be a problem i guessing. i think that because its very tight.. after a while.. the metal will slightly give.. allowing me to put the lever down. maybe in like 3 months i can check it to see if it got looser. if it doesnt .. but the heatsink is keeping the CPU cool.. i guess its ok to not use the locking lever. let me try to better explain what happened. when the lever is in the lock position.. its supposed tp add extra tension to keep the Heatsink tight. because something was slightly off on mine... my heatsink is already to tight to push the lever down... it doesnt even budge.. if i try to push it itll probrobly crack off... hope that was clear :)

I had a simular problem. I made the bar perfectly even and pushed until it locked on. (took about 10 minutes)

This only happened once with a 3700+ and not with others. So I think its a small defect. You can always send it back to AMD.

turtile said:
I had a simular problem. I made the bar perfectly even and pushed until it locked on. (took about 10 minutes)

This only happened once with a 3700+ and not with others. So I think its a small defect. You can always send it back to AMD.

well its secure but without the black lever.. do you think i should send it back.... or leave it alone and try to lower the lever another time? the heatsink is definetely not coming off because its very tight but i dont want any damage to anything

I pushed it on very hard and slow so both sides would lock. Then I pushed the lever down. (The lever always needs pretty much force.)

If you are unable to lock both side and pull the lever, send it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom