Upgrading from win98 to winxp pro... error - not enough virtual memory???

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightingBird

In Runtime
I had winxp working on this computer months ago. I got a nasty virus and I had to wipe the HD clear. I have tried so many times to reinstall xp pro back on that pc but for some damn reason It keeps crashing.

It crashes when its done the installation and about to load up the desktop for the first time. I get a :

Not enough virtual memory

error and the thing restarts and keeps doing this loop until I cancel the installation. Can anyone help me?

I have asked so many people and it amazes me that noone knows how to get around this.

Keep in mind this computer had xp on it before.

No I have not checked the bios settings.

It is a HP 8750c P2, geforce 4 video card, xtigy sound card, 256 ram. Its a older system but it had xp pro on it before.

IDE drivers? I'm sorry I don't know what you are talking about.

i reccomend checking the BIOS settings to see if anything changed when you had to clear the HD, also your system specs would be helpful as well.

I just have one question .. n' i think it's the answer to ur problem too

How much freespace do u have in the drive ur tryin' to install XP on ... ??

i would suggest to check your memory stick. coz this problem can occur if your memory stick is bad. change your stick and give another try. i'm suggesting that 'coz xp need the whole memory to load all files that's needfull .

preet2u said:
I just have one question .. n' i think it's the answer to ur problem too

How much freespace do u have in the drive ur tryin' to install XP on ... ??

yah hes right, chk first your HDd space and better yet chk your HDD for some bad sectors. If you some HDD spare, you better install Xp there just to chk if it is OK. most of the time the villain here is the HDD.

Give it a try. goodluck

Damn I am upset....

I did all that with no success.

I ran the kill disk on both hard drives on that PC. I used the xp pro disk to format the drives and install xp.

I get to the damn final stage of loading the desktop and I get the same damn:

lsass.exe - not enough quota

Not enough virtual memory.

I tried reseting the bios - no luck
I tried loading into safe mode - no luck
I tried loading into recovery mode for repairs of the installation - no luck
I tried loading into debugging mode - no luck
I tried loading into directory mode - no luck
I tried to enable VGA mode - no luck

Is it possible because I have a newer video card and a new audio card on this PC that this may be causing this problem? Should I unhook the sound card and take out the video card?

This is driving me mad!!!! How can the same error appear when I erased the HD's clear and still get the same damn error????

Have u tried installing on a different partition?? Also u still haven't mentioned the size/make of ur harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom