Sata-300?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billru44

Baseband Member
Hey,

I was looking at a mobo and saw it had SATA-300 capability. I'm not too familiar w/ that.

For HD's, is it worth going this route vs a regular ATA-100 connection?

I was looking at picking up 2 160GB HD's and connecting them both into a RAID0 config.

Is the performace much better? Going to be using a system for gaming.

Just because I saw a 250GB ATA100 HD for $50 (after rebate)... and the SATA route would cost me about $200 for 320GB

S-ATA I transfers at 150MB/s So yes it faster then EIDE ATA 100, or any EIDE ATA speed for that matter.

I would reccomend 2 S-ATA Drives in RAID 1. I don't reccomend RAID 0 only because you will lose all data when a drive dies. Unless you make back ups.

Going S-ATA is very worth it.

Well would RAID0 be worth it? I make backups of my data regularly... so i'm not worried about a HD crash.

yes a RAID0 setup will cut down writing and reading time because it reads from both HDD at once, one half of the information is saved HD1 and the other half is on HD2. RAID1 saves all info to both in case of a HD crash, the other HD can be restored or replaced.

RAID0 is extremely good for gaming or high quality image editing. I'll be using RAID0 for gaiming ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom