Two new systems restart randomly 2800+ and 2600+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the info for the 2800+ this is underclocked to a 266 fsb on both ram and processor.

MOTHERBOARD

CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1800 MHz (6.75 x 267) 2200+
Motherboard Name ECS N2U400-A (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM, Audio)
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400
System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (10/02/03)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

MEMORY

[ 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM ]

Memory Module Properties:
Serial Number None
Module Size 512 MB (1 rows, 4 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Type DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh
Highest CAS Latency 3.0 (5.0 ns @ 200 MHz)
2nd Highest CAS Latency 2.5 (6.0 ns @ 166 MHz)

HOPE THIS HELPS

-miller

I ran the memory test with the ram at a 333fsb and there were errors at 33% and more came after that.

Next I ran the memory test at a 266fsb, and no errors occured.

The program said that I had bad memory when I ran it at the 333fsb. I dont know how true that is.

Also could this have anything to do with my power supply. It is 350 watt, and i have one dvd burner and one harddrive.

There's a little more info for you guys.

Thanks

-Miller

if your memory runs underclocked at 266 , but you purchased 333 memory then get some new memory i had the same problem . I purchased Rambus 1066 but it would only run at 800 speeds . Mine was kingston they sent me new ones to replace them . I ran the defective memory underclocked untill the new ones arived .Then shipped the RMA`s back. Memtest is accurate
To be sure the new 1066 sticks were 100% good i let the memory test run overnight with no errors :)
Now that you no the memory runs stable at 266 test out the system see if your random reboot has stopped .

Since your working with a pair of DIMMs (I think; its hard to tell),you might start by looking to see if your trying to run them dual channel or not. I'd run the system in single channel mode to see if this helps. In fact, you can use just one of the two DIMMs at a time to see whether one of the DIMMs is
faulty or whether they just aren't fully compatible with each other. You also don't want to be running the memory bus faster than the frontside CPU bus with a nforce II motherboard; the manual should be very clear about this.I'm not very impressed with the motherboard brand. ECS tends to make very
inexpensive motherboards and I've never heard of Syntax motherboards. Perhaps you get what you pay for.

Yes, I did try running it with single sticks. With one stick the computer wouln't start, and with the other i still had memory erros, but it was more stable. I do understand now that i should not run it higher than the cpu. I think i should just return the memory, im not sure what brand it is, it is just "major brand".

-Miller

you might check and see if the mobo manufacture ran some some tests with a specific memory .Although i would replace the memory with a quality brand .Sense it wont start with one of the modules.Also check to see if there are any Bios updates addressing the issue your having .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom