W32.Sircam.Worm Virus Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

leecherous

Baseband Member
After I installed Norton AntiVirus 2004, it discovered the "SirCam
Worm Virus" file: scam32.exe file in my computer's hard drive.
Norton came up with a deletion screen which I responded to with an "OKAY- Continue." The result of this, after reboot, is: I can't utilize or run any Windows 98 applications . . . for example: msconfig . . . Regedit . . . Internet Explorer . . . Outlook Express . . . etc. without an error screen display: "Cannot find C:\scam32.exe" or "Cannot locate C:\sirc32.exe." I've even reverted to a reboot of Windows 98SE to Safe Mode, and that didn't help resolve the problem. I'd like to get into the registry and edit the registry following procedures listed in Symantec - Norton's Security Response Web Site, but I can't do anything.

Please HELP! jleach@surewest.net

I have the same virus before but Unfortunately I ended up formating my HDD. I dont recommend you to format your drive especially if you havent yet backup your important files. anyway, the error that comes with this virus varies so i just hope in your case, with the help of some experts here, you can come up with a better solution.
goodluck!

Thanks anyway, 3 Stars & d'Sun. I'm not going to format my HDD yet until I see more replies and answers through this forum.

Well, you could try to download the SirCam Removal tool, but since you done screwed the pooch like i did, that patch probably won't work anyways.

This is what happened to me, i use mcafee and it found that file. I deleted it but i figured out later that it was a system file that was deleted with the worm that was attached to it . So i ended up restoring the whole computer.

My thanks to all for your great suggestions. I downloaded
the "SirCam Removal Tool" from Norton-Symantec's Site and it CURED my problems. It took me 7 hours, overall, to rectify the problems that virus-worm caused to my Windows 98 computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom