Bad pixels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neopianpro1

Beta member
I have a red and a green dot on my laptop screen, just to the left of the center?

i heard they are called bad pixels?

Should i worry?

will they go away?

THANX!

probably not, they are dead and will not display anything that they're supposed to, if they just appeared then you might worry, if you're laptop is sitll under warranty contact the MFG

No manufacturing process is perfect....but there are technologies to fix.
For example

Device: CRT\PMT
Problem: Image Burn
Solution: Better phosphors, high focus electron gun, high refresh rates.

Device: LCD\CCD\CMOS
Problem: Dead/Hot pixel
Solution: Matrix Remapping (Experimental\Industial)

Different manufacturers have different warranties. Its usually between 1-8 pixels to replace a LCD\CCD\CMOS and placement of these pixels may also be a factor in the warranty..

ok, so..... if i took it to a computer repair shop, they could reapair it?

oh and how what could have caused the bad pixels(2)?

I am not currently aware of any computer shop capable of repairing faulty pixels in a monitor. I've been building and repairing computers for close to 20 years and I can't do it either. It's a lot easier to just replace the defective monitor. But don't let that sway you, ask around, you never know.
As for the cause, there are many. Normal use, faulty manufature of the device, poor materials, the list goes on. My advice is to contact the seller you got it from and let Ebay know as well. If you're lucky, the seller is a stand up guy and will help you out. Worse case scenario, you get a check from Ebay for the faulty device and Ebay goes after him. What ever happens, good luck and keep us posted.

Check the warranty first, not many manufacturers give a zero dead pixel warranty

o ok, but in " shdwsclan" he said, "Device: LCD\CCD\CMOS
Problem: Dead/Hot pixel
Solution: Matrix Remapping (Experimental\Industial)"

Whats that meen?

THANX!

LCDs are composed of a matrix of liquid crystals.
CCD\CMOS are also composed using a similar matrix.

Each crystal is connected to a decoder which decodes the input.

Its hard to believe that a repair service has hardware to remap an lcd.

Matrix remapping is a technique like scandisk or chkdsk. The system basically tests each pixel and callibrates it.

I have actually not heard directly of this being done on LCDs, but it is done a lot on CCDs. Many higher end ccds that can be found on prosumer, professional, and industrial devices are remapped when faulty.
Many industrial ccds are cooled by nitrogen and have to be remapped regularly.
Professional HD cameras have their ccds remapped especially if 1 CCD costs about $80,000.

As I have noted, this technology has not been consumerized or even privatized. Most people who have such hardware have actually manufactured the CCD\LCD\CMOS in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom