Permissions across FAT32 and NTFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annorax

Beta member
I have a machine with two hard drives: master is FAT32 on Windows 2000 and a slave of NTFS with a broken XP Pro install. Long story short, the NTFS drive won't boot anymore (but data seems to be intact) so I set it as a slave and reverted to my old Win 2k drive (now my master).

However, permissions are all screwed up on the XP drive. To view anything on that drive, I must right click and reset the permissions. I get "Access Denied", then I right click and go to Security, it says I don't have permission to view or edit permissions, but I can take ownership. Under Advanced->Owner, it says "Unable to display current owner." I can take ownership on my 2000 account and it is all fine.

However, for one directory it won't let me do this. I get the directory permissions straight, but they don't propegate to the files inside, so I must do those manually. Whenever I right click on a file inside, I get an Exporer.EXE Application Error with an exception and some hex value.

Restarting my machine does nothing.

Is there any way I can get to these files or some program I can use to change the permissions?

Let me guess the files are from the doc and settings folder and the account that it is under had password protection?
Unfortunately i dont think there really is anyway to get those fiels back if you cant take ownership back. Dont quote me on this as i might be wrong but AFAIK this holds to be true.

Yes, they are in the Documents and Settings folder on the slave drive.

I can right click on the directory above and change ownership back to me. But when I right click on a file inside this folder, before the menu comes up I get the error and Explorer closes.

Strangely, other directories and files work fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom