Processor help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBlip

Solid State Member
I've decided to build my own gaming computer, but I've run into some trouble/confusion with choosing the processor.

It seems the AMD's all run under 3Ghz operating frequency, while the Pentiums operate at 3ghz just a little under the same price.

1.8Ghz AMD 64 costs $190 and a P4 3.0Ghz processor costs the same. What makes this cost difference? Is it the 64-bit processing (which I'm not entirely sure what that does, I'm doing some research on it now)? And which one would be better for games like HL2, Quake4, and FEAR?

I'm not planning on doing any overclocking, nor am I planning to spend more then $250 on a processor. I'd like to try and keep it around $200 if at all possible.

AMD is currently the best processors on the market. Their architecture is made differently so their clocks aren't as high, yet reaching higher performance then intels higher clocked CPUS. AMD cpu's also have more cache, overclock better, and stay cooler.

With your budget, I recommend the AMD athelon 64 3700+, which retails on www.newegg.com for 220$.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, this helps a lot.

But I have another question; San Diego or Clawhammer? I've read on these forums that the Clawhammer generates a lot of heat, but what about the San Diego? Also, should I risk buying a refurbished for $208, or go $30 more and get the normal?

San Diego core has more cache, runs cooler, and overclocks better. I would go with a new one, but that's really up to you, it's your money and you can do what you want with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom