Memory DDR Dual channel WinXP Not working Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcwizdan

Solid State Member
I have
AMD athlonxp3000+ 333fsb
ChAintech 7njl6 socket A

i have a good CPU fan and i have 2 120mm fans and a 60mm fan on the side panel with an onboard fan on my XFX Geforce FX 5500 Video card.

i have 3 memory slots that support up to 1GB on each slot
they go like this
[][] []
1 2 3

if i put a memorystick in one of the first two slots and the other in the 3rd ddr dual channel is enabled
but when i boot into windows XP PRO it has an popup like error about the memory and not the blue screen but is frozen

and if i try one of the two alone in the computer it will load up but when i am on it for awhile it just stops immediatley and freezes with no blue screen just the desktop

and if i am in a game the sound either gets crackly and then freezes or it repeats the clip and freezes and i have to restart

I tried ultra memory modules 2 of them each 512mb

I tried Corsair Value select dual channel 2x512MB 333MHz

I looked on the motherboard and there is a jumper for changing the processor speed or changing the memory speed in bios

and i think it may be that the memory is running at 333MHz and the processor is talking to it or thinking at 166MHz

When i boot up in it says it is running the processor at 166
with a multiplier of 13x result is 2.166 GHz

am I right?
suggestions?

Do you have the manual for your MOBO ? You may need to see how the manufacturer needs you to place your RAM. You may also want to run MEMTEST86 or MEMTEST. Memtest86 is bootable. It will test your RAM.

i ran memtest forgot to say

i ran memtest
and it came up with no errors
so i dont think the memory is corrupt
and the new memory i got is on the compatibility list for the motherboard because the memory controller is on the motherboard

like i said i think it is an issue of memory timings ect

could you help me
under stand the lingo of this
i know what multiplier is
it is like
i have processor at 166 it multiplys it by 13 so result is about 2166MHz

yes all possible slot choices
so i know it isnt the motherboard slots
but if i use only one it does ok
but like in IE or anything after awhile
(maybe it gets overloaded on the memorystick and the connection between my processor and memory is like not enough)
so
what does FSB mean (i know Front Side Bus)
but what does it do or what is it.

one other thing there is a high pitched sound from my case
it comes from the memory
but i havent intentionally set anything overclocked

here is what i remember
(i am not at my pc right now and wont be able to for about 1 to 5 days)

AGP MB is set to 128mb because on the nvidia website it told me to

Bios shadow and chaching are both off.

i have the processor frequency at 166mhz
multiplier at 13

but there is mention in the motherboard manual of the jumper on the motherboard that if on 1-2 you are able to change processor freq in BIOS and on 2-3 you're able to change memory freq in BIOS

Question?
if the memory was at 333mhz and the processor was talking to the mem at 166mhz could that explain that after awhile it will freeze because of overloading the mem??

(like having a watertower hooked up to the city through a tiny hose)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom