Help with LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex81388

Daemon Poster
I'm looking to get an LCD now. I've had a 19" crt like all my life and it's time to move on, the thing is old (i actually hae like 5 of them...).

But, I want the LCD to be everything the CRT was and more... so:

I was looking for something at least 12ms response
I'd like to get a decent dot pitch out of it, and the most important:
it needs to do 1600x1200.

I use 1600x1200 and can't stand lower, obveously if I can afford a widescreen I'd like to go with that, but i think the 1920res monitors get really expensive.

IDK much about monitors, so any just quick recommendations or links are much appreciated. Like I said, Widescreen would be cool.

Thanks guys

If you do 1600x1200, you are going to want to go with a 20" or 22" LCD. 19" ones are typically 1280x1024. I wouldn't advise getting one that high though because if you can't play your games at 1600x1200, they will look like crap at lower resolutions. Unlike with a CRT, you can get a sharp picture with an LCD no matter what the native resolution is. You HAVE to use the native resolution though.

Be sure you get one thats 8ms or lower and also MAKE SURE its an 8-bit panel capable of displaying 16.7 million colors. Make sure the constrast ratio is 600:1 or higher.

SHAWN said:
Your budget?

Id like to stay below 800, but that doesnt mean a 500 dollar one would be bad. :)

BandwidthHogg said:
If you do 1600x1200, you are going to want to go with a 20" or 22" LCD. 19" ones are typically 1280x1024. I wouldn't advise getting one that high though because if you can't play your games at 1600x1200, they will look like crap at lower resolutions. Unlike with a CRT, you can get a sharp picture with an LCD no matter what the native resolution is. You HAVE to use the native resolution though.

Be sure you get one thats 8ms or lower and also MAKE SURE its an 8-but panel capable of displaying 16.7 million colors. Make sure the constrast ratio is 600:1 or higher.

Size wise thats what I figured. I do clock the games down to 1280x1024, but i can't stand my desktop at that... so does that mean LCD is just a bad choice and im stuck? And don't LCD's do a couple resolutions with refeshrates that work, not just a single one (idk much, but i thought thats what I heard).

killerfetish said:
Get a samsung 930 its a great lcd for about 369. off of newegg, 4ms black to white, its great

I'm sitting in front of my moms samsung 940d right now, and I like it, but it wont do the Resolution that I need... nor is it widescreen.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824133164

This looks like a really decent one for the price. And yeah, you will definately have to sacrifice image quality if you turn the resolution down. Thats the disadvantage of LCDs, but SED panels are supposed to fix that issue in a few years (They are already in Japan, why can't they make them in the States?). If you aren't a hard-core gamer, it won't make much of a difference to you though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom