Motherboard Fried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GGUUSS

Baseband Member
WELL MY BROTHER PUT MY PC TOGETHER AND I THINK THE MOTHER BOARD IS FRIED. HE SAID HE HEARD A "POP" TYPE SOUND WHEN HE TURNED THE PC ON AND THE MOTHERBOARD DID NOT TURN ON. ALL THE FANS EXCEPT THE CPU FAN TURNED ON AND 1 OF THE CD ROMS HAD POWER AND THE DISK DRIVE. NO SIGNS OF ANYTHING COMING FROM THE HARD DRIVE. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT IS AND I HOPE ITS NOT THE MOBO AND PROCESSOR CUZ I SPEND 550 ON THAT ****. CAN U GUYS GIVE ME UR BEST IDEAS ON WAT IT IS?

Well first look on your keyboard in the upper right hand corner. There should be 3 led's. When you type make sure that the middle one is not lit. Second posting your system specs would help.

i havent hooked up the monitor or the keyboard yet. just wanted to see everything power up. my specs are.....

P4 650 3.4ghz
asus premium mobo with intel 955x chipset
1gb corsair 240pin pc 4200 ram
nvidia 6200 256 mb pci-e
2 dvd drives (dvd rom & burner)
floppy disk drive
thermaltake 470watt psu

LOL ok i just got what you meant about the keyboard. sorry im at work and i gotta use caps on to use the program at work. my bad lol haha

There is a possibility that your PSU was not strong enough to support your system OR was bad upon arrival. Like others have said, RMA the Mobo and don't sweat it because these things happen. The best thing to not do is start ripping your computer apart and turning it off and on. First, borrow someone else's PSU and try it in the computer. If that dosn't help then you know somthing is fried (probably your motherboard). Does the computer beep (continuously) upon booting? If so you could have your RAM in incorrectly, be sure to check that. If all of the above do not help, RMA the Mobo and get a new one.

::-Chase-::

well i actually unplugged all the fans and anything extra. on my asus book it did say that i need a minimum of 400w so i bought a 470w psu. well anyway, i left everything unplugged except the mobo and i still got nothing.

My thermaltake 430w just kicked the bucket a few days ago and I did the same thing you did to see if it helped and it didn't. You may have a bad power supply so try to find another to test it with or RMA it for another one. What do you have to lose?

::-Chase-::

does thermaltake make bad psu's?? my friend has a spare antec 350watt psu that ill try testing.

considering i am a newbie at computer hardware and understanding how things work together what does RMA stand for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom