Graphics Problem, what could it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono

In Runtime
hi all

My 6600GT just stuffed up, and i was told it could be due to a few things, and i thought i would put them on the table here, and anyone could tell me if this were possible

Whats happening is when i play a game, after a while, it sometimes may develop small black lines blinking across the screen. This gets worse over time, and a screen shot is show in the attachment.

ok, the problems i was told it could be were

1- The card is over heating. Now, i have a micro-ATX case, and i dont know how well the air flows, but it looks cramped, but there is a fair space on the underside of the card (where the heat sink is). I tested some temps and found that it is idle at about 57 degree Celcius, and runs games at about 68 degrees celcius, and seems to sit idle at 52 degrees celcius with the cover off the comp.

2- My motherboard is too old and too crap to work the card properly. Now, this is an MSI-7005, so it is AGP 4x, and the box of the card that it is AGP 4x/8x compliant. Could this really be a reason?

3- The power supply isnt sufficent enough run the card properly... well, it is unknown to me what the PSU is, but i think it is atleast 350+. im not sure thou... how can i find out?

so, any help on this would be great, as this is really annoying.

thx

Attachments

• wowscrnshot_122105_153240.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 53
Chrono said:
hi all

My 6600GT just stuffed up, and i was told it could be due to a few things, and i thought i would put them on the table here, and anyone could tell me if this were possible

Whats happening is when i play a game, after a while, it sometimes may develop small black lines blinking across the screen. This gets worse over time, and a screen shot is show in the attachment.

ok, the problems i was told it could be were

1- The card is over heating. Now, i have a micro-ATX case, and i dont know how well the air flows, but it looks cramped, but there is a fair space on the underside of the card (where the heat sink is). I tested some temps and found that it is idle at about 57 degree Celcius, and runs games at about 68 degrees celcius, and seems to sit idle at 52 degrees celcius with the cover off the comp.

2- My motherboard is too old and too crap to work the card properly. Now, this is an MSI-7005, so it is AGP 4x, and the box of the card that it is AGP 4x/8x compliant. Could this really be a reason?

3- The power supply isnt sufficent enough run the card properly... well, it is unknown to me what the PSU is, but i think it is atleast 350+. im not sure thou... how can i find out?

so, any help on this would be great, as this is really annoying.

thx

2. UNLIKELY
3. Read the PSU

cos of the stupid design of the case, i cant see the PSU's label, and wont b able to unless i get out a hacksaw

if i get a new case, it should adress the PSU, and overheat issues right, so if it still happens in a new case, it faulty most likely?

you should be able to remove the power supply compleatly from the case, the screws are on the back around the plug. the ratings of the psu should be some where on it, usualy on a white sticker on the side. that should help you to find the problems.
you may also find that the bios should show the variants of the voltages under somthing like power ratings.
if all elese fails search the net for some sort of app for testing it.

ok... just got a new case... looks like good air flow, and its got a 400W PSU.

the "graphics stuff ups" seem less frequent, but they are still there.

What else could it be?

It sounds like the card is overheating.. if the card has a fan make sure u clean all the dust off it. Just so you know if u keep playing games with the black lines it can become permanent.

If cleaning the cards fan and heatsink dosnt help i would suggest an aftermath card heatsink.

its basically a new card... about 2 weeks old now, so i dont think dust is in it.

aftermath card heatsink... is that like, takin the stock heatsink out, and putting a new one on?

o... and what temp for a graphics card is considered too hot, or overheating... 70+???

just tryed it on another computer... so far, it hasnt produced the lines again. One strange thing that i noticed was when i played Warcraft 3, it lagged constantly... although only small, it still wanst smooth, even though it had no lag at all when the old graphics card was in, which was a Geforce 2 Ti.

Is this problem really something to do with my computer?, and if it is, what could it be that is doing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom