Inserting CD in CD-Writer boots the system

Status
Not open for further replies.

devom

Beta member
I have a grave problem. It happens that whenever I access my CDROM Drive my computer reboots. I had checked CDROM on another system it is working fine. Also I had checked Power Supply, Data Cable and jumper setting of my CDROM. All are absolutely fine. I could not understand were the problem is.

Firstly I was using Windows 98, then when I got the problem I formatted my C:\ Drive and loaded the windows 2000 Server but the problem remains same. ie. In 8 out of 10 times System Reboots when CD is inserted in CD Drive and it starts to rotate. I also tried to boot my system with Windows 98 boot disk (With CD Rom Drive) but the problem remains the same. System booted on
accessing CDROM. The Specifications are: P III (550 MHZ), 128 MB RAM, Mercury i810 DST Motherboard and Samsung 52X CD R/RW. Plz help me as soon as possible. I personally think that the problem is related to Hardware conflict or some Device drivers , but could not make sure were the problem is.

It sounds like a PSU problem. To turn the CD, the drive uses 12V, and more power consumption than usual. Sudden reboots are often caused by PSU problems.

Read my guide to random reboots at the top of this forum for some more info.

turn off autoreboot on system failure in the system and recovery section in system properties and post the error, chk eventvwr and also post the error (the first will lock the system, but will also see what errors we get). Do this a few times to see if it is the same error or different each time.

I had tried this also. Replaced cable , but fault continues...........
Plz help

I have to agree with the statement in one of the previous posts, because to me it sounds like a classic case of a Power supply going out. At this time I cant think of anything else, but usually with symptoms like you are experiencing it isnt a mystery, and almost always is a PSU going bad. Well wait, I just had a thought that it is possible that if any recent upgrades in hardware could "most of the time" make it appear that the PSU is dead if the hardware upgrade was significantly more demanding of power. Also, I have seen where a system is burdened with hardware demanding more power than what it has or just on the border line, and causes intermittent power loss or restarts. This hasnt happened often, but keep this in mind if you have made any upgrades recently and if not I still agree that you need to replace your power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom