Mobile processor in a Desktop Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

climbjm

Solid State Member
so I have a mobile processor inside of a desktop right?

Well the heat sync is just no quite reaching the processor. I have put on the grease for the processor and it doesnt even touch the grease.

Is there a way of lowering it or do I need some sort of special way of lowring the heat sync a little lower?

You can put mobiles in desktops can't you?

yeah the CPU will work in that motherboard, but I think the reason the heatsink is sitting higher up is because the "normal" Athlon 64's have a metal heat spreader on them, whereas the mobiles don't.

"normal" athlon 64:
300px-Athlon-64-Lenara-CG.jpg

mobile Athlon 64:
AMD_Athlon64.jpg

My Solution:
lol, you are going to laugh...

My heat sync was sitting so far away from my processor, it was not even touching the grease so....

I sanded down (2 millimeters) the little plastic stubs (on the plastic heat sync base) so it sits closer to my motherboard, hence making it sitting closer to my processor. I also found an extra fan and rigged it up to blow on it from the side. i had an extra fan from an old 486!!!

not laughing... sounds ingenuitive. It's not every day people come in here possessing critical thinking and problem solving skills.

Ryan

All he did was sand down the socket bracket. Not like he's einstein. Theres actually a thread at the offical AMD.com forums where a guy explains how he did it, read HIS, THATS ingenius.

Hey, does the mobile processor preform the same as a normal one? I believe the only difference would be that mobiles use 80-90W which is less than normal to improve battery life... Correct me if i am wrong... I probably am.

Thanks,
Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom