Please Help With Upgrading Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded

Beta member
Please Help With Upgrading

OK, I currently own a HP Pavillion 7966, and would like to upgrade it to get better performance out of online games. Some basic specs are:

1.7 ghz P4
512 MB SDRram
64mb Geforce 4200

What should i upgrade to get the most performance increase. I was thinking about upgrading to a 3 ghz processor and would like to know if this would be the correct move to make.

Probably keep the computer, but upgrade motherboard if necessary. I really dont have enough cash for a whole new rig.

well if you want a 3GHz cpu...i would say u will need a new MOBO wich means also new ram and video card...and possibly a new PSU....so thats pretty much a new rig...

I wouldnt just be able just use the ram and video card off the old motherboard if I buy a new one? Sorry if I sound retarded I really dont have alot of experience with this.

I also realize that my video card will probably have to be upgraded too.

i would say not...because the new MOBO's have PCI-E slots...your card is prolly PCI or AGP...

the ram you might be able to use if you get a AMD cpu

I would drop some cash, reuse some parts....liquid cool the thing with a non-conductive coolant like FluidXP+.....I recommend something with a workstation cpu like a xeon or opteron....they usually dont depriciate so fast....

shdwsclan said:
I would drop some cash, reuse some parts....liquid cool the thing with a non-conductive coolant like FluidXP+.....I recommend something with a workstation cpu like a xeon or opteron....they usually dont depriciate so fast....

Why have you been telling everyone to use liquid cooling, and a workstation cpu?

You won't be able to use a new mobo in the HP case, you're pretty much just going to have to build a new computer and reuse some of the parts you currently have. Save up some cash, unless you have some now, and build a decent rig with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom