How much space does XP pro use up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
dlete all but the most recent restore point. right click every folder in c drive and select properties and see how much space it contain.

if you click on your picture, it will show a higher resolution one

Thanks all! I'll check out that program, Warzemonster!

Actually, I setup 4 manual restore points as I was installing stuff.....

More questions:

How much space does each restore point typically use?

I can't remember how to access the calender for restore points in XP Pro. How do I view it so I can delete all my restore points except the latest?

What percent is recomended for system restore? Currently at 12% (28gbs) This leaves me with 70gbs unaccounted for..

I really appreciate all the help and patience! =)

I recently installed a fresh copy of XP pro on a laptop and it should take up about 2.5gb with the coding lanuages and asian texts and other bells and whistles. Unless my harddrive is lying.

hit the more options on the disc cleanup tab

dclean.jpg

Ok, I'm very confused, hoping someone can shed some light on this for me... From everything I see, XP views the SATA drive as a 233gb drive, but even though I have more then 120gbs available, it will NOT show more. I went into the MaxBlast software that came with the HDD and it had a setup drive option.

After installing the software it said my XP copy would not be able to recognize anything over 137gbs, and installed something and rebooted. Nothing changed.

Then, I went to 'setup harddisk option' and it said that the only HDD in my system contains XP, and that I need to boot into DOS to setup the hard disk. When I boot into DOS and select setup disk, it says it basically is going to reformat AGAIN.

I'll paste the information below from the readme file for Maxblast install software. I tell you, I really do NOT want to have to start this all over again. lol But if that's what I have to do, I'll do it. Also, I do have SP1 installed on my system, but it was downlaoded and added after my XP install. I just have the SATA drive connected to the MOBO, no PCI card. Again, any help or understanding of what's going on is appreciated. Just glad I noticed before I started loading my drive up with stuff.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
137GB Capacity Barrier

In order to properly access the full capacity of a hard drive larger than 137GB, your system must meet the system requirements described below. Formatting a drive past the 137GB barrier on a system that does not meet these requirements will result in data loss.

Note: If your Maxtor hard drive came bundled with a Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI Adapter Card, you can safely install and use your drive with the PCI card on Windows 98SE, Me, NT 4.0 SP4, 2000, and XP.

1) Operating System Solutions

The only current Windows operating systems that natively support the full capacity of drives larger than 137GB are:

Windows XP Home Service Pack 1 (SP1)
Windows XP Professional SP1
Windows 2000 Professional SP3
Windows 2000 Server SP3

The latest Service Pack from Microsoft must be installed to ensure support for large drives. To download the latest Service Pack for Windows XP or 2000, visit http://www.microsoft.com. Once you have installed the latest Service Pack, you must install and run the Windows version of MaxBlast from the MaxBlast CD to properly format and partition the full capacity of the drive.

If you do not have one of the operating systems listed above, Maxtor recommends that you upgrade your operating system or try one of the solutions listed below.

2) Chipset Solutions for Windows 98SE, Me, NT4.x, 2000 and XP

Intel 8xx Series Chipsets
Intel offers drivers to support the full capacity of drives larger than 137 GB on motherboards equipped with the Intel 810, 810E, 810E2, 815, 815, 815E, 815EP, 815P, 820, 820E, 830M, 830MP, 830MG, 840, 845, 850, or 860 chipset. The Intel Application Accelerator is compatible with Windows 98SE, Me, NT, 2000, and XP operating systems. The latest version of the driver can be downloaded from www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/. If you are not sure what kind of chipset your motherboard has, contact your system or motherboard manufacturer.

If you are building a new system, you can use a bootable MaxBlast CD or diskette to partition and format large drives to their full capacity. Choose the “Set Up Your Hard Disk” button from the Main Menu, then select the “Advanced Installation” option during the install. After the drive has been partitioned and formatted, you can install Windows onto your system. Once Windows has been successfully installed, you should immediately download and install the Intel Application Accelerator before putting your system into regular use.

Other Chipsets
1. Some motherboards and PCI ATA cards equipped with VIA, SiS, ALi, NVIDIA, HighPoint, and Promise chipsets may have drivers or updates that will allow you to access the full capacity of a drive larger than 137GB, so contact your chipset, system, or motherboard manufacturer to see if they have drivers available for your operating system. If not, Maxtor recommends that you purchase a Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI Adapter Card, available from most retail and online computer stores.

3) Ultra ATA/133 PCI Adapter Card

If you have an Ultra ATA/133 PCI adapter card with an open channel, your high-capacity Maxtor drive will be fully supported in Windows while the drive is attached to such controller. Maxtor recommends using the Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI Adapter Card, which is fully compatible with all capacities of Maxtor ATA hard drives. Some system BIOSes do not support booting to drives attached to alternate adapters, so you may only be able to use the drive as additional storage and not as the boot drive. For more information on the Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI Adapter Card, visit http://www.maxtor.com.

that what I figured in the 1st place. download autostreamer and slipstreram sp1 or sp2 into your xp (no service pack disc). when done while you are installing xp, hit f6 and insert your sata flopp when asked and use it to partition your hard drive

I'll go read up on autostreamer now so I can get SP1 onto my XP. I absolutely CANNOT find a SATA driver to put on a floppy for my MOBO. The only files I find are like 9mbs +. Everyone I see online with my MOBO did NOT use a driver disk. Can you offer any help locating a driver?

MOBO:
ECS848P-A V2

Again, thanks a ton. Looks like I'm starting back at Square One again..

Raphael Argus said:
I'll go read up on autostreamer now so I can get SP1 onto my XP. I absolutely CANNOT find a SATA driver to put on a floppy for my MOBO. The only files I find are like 9mbs +. Everyone I see online with my MOBO did NOT use a driver disk. Can you offer any help locating a driver?

MOBO:
ECS848P-A V2

Again, thanks a ton. Looks like I'm starting back at Square One again..

it can be on your mobo or maxtor cd. it should be a textsetup.oem, read me file and an ultra or sata file. your mobe cd should have a floppy maker on it to make it read sata drives

Thanks, Eric. I'm slipstreaming it now.

Hopefully I can find the file necessary to make the floppy.

Let me see if I got this straight.

1. Slipstream SP1 into XP
2. Make floppy with SATA driver
3. Boot PC with XP CD
4. Watch for a prompt to hit F6, hit it, and insert floppy with drivers.
5. Partition. And by partition, I can create one volume C: with the full 250mbs?

Just making sure I have this straight, don't want to blow another night doing this :)

And, again, thanks for helping out. I've learned alot, even if it was frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom