Point me in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBlip

Solid State Member
I am looking for a gaming computer equiped well enough to handle games like HL2, Quake4, and FEAR for under $1000. I really don't want to build one, and am not planing on doing any overclocking. I'd much rather buy like a $500 pc and buy the RAM and graphics card seperately, this is what I did for my other computer.

I am mainly concerned about the processor, ram, graphics card, and hard drive. I either want a ~2.5-.8 dual core proc. or a 3ghz+ proc, normal or HT. 2x512 DDR Ram. 256mb graphics. 80GB HD (I don't need much space). Monitor is optional for the time being. Here is what I have found so far using only pricewatch.com:

Processor:
2.80Ghz Pentium D Dual Core Proc. - $244 (cheaper possible?)
------------------OR
AMD 64 3400 1MB Cache - 1600MHz FSB CPU Socket 754 - $153

RAM:
PC2-8000 DDR2-1000 512MB - $110 (each)
(I've done little research on RAM, so some help would be appreciated)

Hard Drive:
80GB 7200Rpm 2MB 8.9ms OEM Magnetic Data Tech. - $44

Graphics:
Radeon 9800 XT 256MB DDR dvi/tv-Out Dual head 8X AGP ATI - $169

Other computer Spec:
P4 2.6Ghz HT
80GB HD
Radeon 9600 pro 256mb
2x256 + 1x512 = 1GB RAM

Original computer cost ~$700 including monitor (this was almost 2 years ago I think). I bought the graphics card later for $110, then the 512mb RAM for $100. So the total was about $910. I'd like to do the same for this one. The only reason why I don't just tweak that one a bit is because it is at my mothers house.

So far I've looked at gateway and found this for $860:
DX300S - P(D) Dual Core 2.8ghz 800MHz FSB 2x1MB L2 cache
1GB RAM 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM Dual Channel (2x512)
80GB HD-Serial ATA II/300 7200rpm hard drive, 8MB cache
8-in-1 media card reader, and with +$29 I could get a floppy drive (Help me with this, not sure what it means)
Intigrated graphics - Good because I'm gonna add that 256mb anyway
No monitor, but with +$150 I could get a VX765 17"

If you have any better ideas or suggestions I would really love to hear them. I really hope I didn't confuse anyone and this is easy to understand.

It's really hard to pick and choose when you're buying your PC. If I may ask, why do you not want to build it? You'll find yourself having a blast... trust me. You'll learn a lot.

Any reason you're going with Intel? The AMD dual cores are spanking the Intel's butts right now. I'd go with an AMD Athlon X2 3800+.

Ryan

I didn't want to build one because I don't feel like having to deal with compatability issues, if there were any. I'm actually looking around on newegg right now and reconsidering this...Maybe will I build one. Just one question, will I have to buy the cords seperately, or will they come with the powersupply, mobo, and all that other stuff?

As for the dual cores, I didn't know who was spanking who, so I went with Pentium for some reason.

Also....is $320 for that processor a good price? Remember, I really don't want to spend more then $1000 on this, infact, I'd like to only spend about $800.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom