Seagate to acquiring Maxtor

Status
Not open for further replies.
My next hard drive is going to be a Seagate. I have two Maxtors right now and they have been going for about a year and a half and I haven't had any problems. Hopefully problems dont start. But yeah, I've heard nothing but bad about Maxtor on various forums such as this one.

Seagate is like Symantec. They are already the biggest hard disk manufacturer, now they are even bigger. Too bad for WD.

Well, if Seagate becomes that much bigger than WD, I hope that their quality of product doesnt decrease.

For the time being I do appreciate the quality of both SG and WD drives. In fact I have a 10k rpm WD and a 7200 rpm SG in my computer now!

I'm assuming that by Seagate Picking up the Maxtor Production Facilities in asia, it will lower their cost of production. Manyly due to the facilities being "Ready to go". They were planning on building them, but since Maxtor just finished a few, it made more sense.

With the lowered cost of production, it's very possible that they will be able to offer their products at a lower price, while keeping their "new" 5 year warranty and the great quality of their products. More efficient and abundant production facilities will mean a much greater supply, which will lower demand. That generally means lower prices.

LOL - Hopefully... May-be by the middle or end of 2006 we'll see 500GIG SATA I HDD's around the $250.00 instead of $340.00

Hopefully my assumption and Bill Watkins forecast will be correct.

“Seagate is excited about the opportunity to achieve greater scale, reduce supply chain costs, and leverage combined R&D efforts across a broader product set. With the increased scale of the combined company, we can reduce overall product costs and provide more innovative products at more competitive prices," commented Bill Watkins, Seagate CEO. "We believe this is a strategic combination that will provide value for our shareholders as well as benefits for our customers."

I wouldn't mind making my next HD a seagate one, but the last time I checked a WD 200gb HD was like $90 at newegg and the seagate was $105 or so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom