Which Operating System?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on what you are going to use your comp for. For a lot of people home is fine because you don't need the few features that Pro adds. Security... who cares just get good anti-virus/spyware/addware programs. The one feature that I HAVE to have Pro for is remote desktop and web development. So if you do any of that type of networking thing then you need Pro. Otherwise save the cash and go with Home.

XP Home. Are you networking? Probably not... if you are, Pro, but if this is your desktop PC, then XP Home, hands down. It's a waste to blow 50 extra bucks on networking features you're not going to use.

Ryan

wat u mean by networking? cos at home i have brother and sister with there own comp and we all share the same connection through a Belkin Router.

that's not a LAN or anything. This is what I mean. Are you going to need the capability to take your computer to a network and hook it up and communicate with other computers?

Splitting a connection through a router doesn't require anything special. You sound to me like you really only need XP Home, just like me.

Ryan

Theres no difference in the software, just OEM comes without the box or something. OEM is usually cheaper

The choice of an OS for a machine can be made by defining what you want the machine to do. I like Linux for it's wide range of possibilities and hardcore security. However, I am a diehard gamer and for that, Windows is the choice. What to do?
Well, I have a dual-boot rig. I have Windows XP Pro and Fedora Linux as well. The only time I go on Windows is for gaming, otherwise, I am on Linux and I love it. I do a lot of programming and graphics work, and with Linux, all the tools I need are already installed, and the best part is...I didn't pay for any of it.
As for 64 bit computing, there are only a small number of apps that are 64 bit, and an even smaller number that actually take advantage of 64 bit architecture. Try a dual boot rig setup. If you need help with doing it, let me know, I have a lot of experience with it and am happy to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom