how to fdisk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apokalipse

Golden Master
I will be building my own computer when I get the money, and when I have it all together, I want to create partitions for my drive; I want a seperate partition for my Operating systems (prolly XP and Whitebox Linux) one for Program Files and one for all my other junk.
I just want to know how to fdisk it, because Partition Magic is not free.

System disk first

Do you have one to get started ?
fdisk is something you kind of have to work out yourself.
You can mess around till you get it right.Then format them all.
Only Then accept cdrom support and put in the Windows cd,find it's location and type install.
You have to know Dos commands.

98 Boot disk. That's all ya need.

It's very straightforward. All you have to do is to find the command for "Create primary partition", and create two of those : Windows and Linux boot off these. The last can be primary or just plain logical, but it's all your preference.

All three need to be set as active.
FDISK will create all of the partitons in FAT32.

Once you create all three partitions, you format each one, usually starting at c:, and proceeding to z:.

The linux partition you will have to format in Linux.

If this sounds a little wordy or wierd, its because i'm running on about six hours of sleep. Go figure :D

boot/system disk

mrdinkel said:
98 Boot disk. That's all ya need.

It's very straightforward. All you have to do is to find the command for "Create primary partition", and create two of those : Windows and Linux boot off these. The last can be primary or just plain logical, but it's all your preference.

All three need to be set as active.
FDISK will create all of the partitons in FAT32.

Once you create all three partitions, you format each one, usually starting at c:, and proceeding to z:.

The linux partition you will have to format in Linux.

If this sounds a little wordy or wierd, its because i'm running on about six hours of sleep. Go figure :D

I sent someone all the 98 files,they where put on a floppy.Results
Quote:
i put that on a floppy disc and it does not work.. it says system error ,replace disk and press any key, but it will not do it.. just the same thing over and over again and again.. so what now? i am trying to get my windows back in there and after i took everything off of the computer, and i mean everything.. and so i cannot seem to get any disk to work so far, so now what do i do?
-------
Can you add to this ? sleepy head.

i put that on a floppy disc and it does not work.. it says system error ,replace disk and press any key, but it will not do it.. just the same thing over and over again and again.. so what now? i am trying to get my windows back in there and after i took everything off of the computer, and i mean everything.. and so i cannot seem to get any disk to work so far, so now what do i do?

reformat the disk using your pc, and see if there are any bad sectors. If so, replace the media. They're dirt cheap

thanx for the info, I will maybe format to FAT32 so the Whitebox Enterprise Linux that I will prolly use can read all drives, but it could be a problem as the drive I want is much larger than reccomended for FAT32 (160 gig)

stan-the-man said:
Gateway Timeout
The following error occurred:
Code:
 A DNS lookup error occurred because the request timed out during the lookup. 

I doubt if that the sollution,If my floppy didn't do it,why should this "link" ?

:confused: [/B][/QUOTE]
what's your DNS server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom