How much space does XP pro use up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hit printscreen on your keyboard and open windows paint or paint shop pro. hit edit, paste as new image

upload it to imageshack.com or photobucket.com

copy and paste the image url here

here is what I would do... get the properties on each folder in the root of C:\
ie, Documents and settings, Windows, Program files... And C: too.

What is each one? Then you can narrow down what it's holding. Also, look at the systemrestore settings. Right click my computer, Properties, System Restore. What is the capacity set at? shrinkning that to under 10gbs is good. If it's set to 10%, then you can be allowcating 25+ GBS to it. Also, what is your page file set at?

Another thing to try is a disk size scanner. Something like this
it will show you a visual representation of the space you have in use and also freespace, so you might need to uncheck the "Show free space" option.
Something else to do is run a checkDisk. This might clear invalid entries in the File space table...

Good luck

Awesome, let me try the suggestions and see what I come up with.

And nope, I did a fresh install, booted the MaxBlast CD, then it asked to boot up with my OS CD, which I did, and everything went well. Just the file table seems whacky.

Ok, let me see what I can figure out..

See, whatever you did, everything did not delete. If you would have used a windows 98 oem bootdisk, fdisk to delete and make a new partition and then format, more than likely, you would be fine.

I assumed with a brand NEW unused drive that following the instructions it gave me everything would be smooth. Which was boot from Maxblast, boot to OS XP, and do a FULL format. As of now I have 100gbs , if restore is using 28gbs that means I'm using 70gbs. This doesn't seem that far off, and I seem to be getting closer. I bet the maxtor drive is utilizing space for some utility it offers. It does have something enabled to help with acoustical noise....

Thanks for all the help! :)

I have XP Pro SP2 installed on a 2GB partition... don't know what could possibly be using 100GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom