How much space does XP pro use up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
I just did a recent hard disk install, and after only installing XP pro and it's updates SP2 & 2 my drive reports as 233gbs with 100gbs being used. Is that possible? Or are there some files left after install I manually need to delete? I mean 100gbs used seems like a freakin lot!

it sure dont take that much. Go to the program files folder and see if you have any program folders on there that you know you dont have installed yet and delete them

There is a WUtemp file with 65mbs of data.

Windows Temp has 145mbs of data.

Can I empty out both of these?

What types of services or programs can allocated hard disk storage to use? I'm wondering if it's something like that and I can adjust how much space it uses.

All I did was a fresh install of XP Pro, updated Audigy drivers, DirectX, Nvidia drivers, MOBO drivers, and put on AVG Antivirus.

Thanks for the help.

you sure xp isn't recognizing it as 127-137 gig? if that is the case you need to enable 48bit lba

Ok, I deleted both and it still shows as 233gb HDD with 120GB available. The available space did not change after I deleted the files and emptied the recycle bin.

I also have a directX folder where I unloaded the directx files that is around 50mbs. Can that also be deleted after directx is installed?

I'm trying to get everything smooth so I can mirror the drive for easy future fresh installs.

Thanks for the help.

Actually, I didn't see the exact amount of space before I deleted those small files but I doubt it would change the total amount of space available anyway.... Seems like the drive is detected as a 250GB, and I can't think of anything that would be eating up so much HDD

go to start, run, type diskmgmt.msc and see if you have any unpartioned space, if you do, format it and then merge it

Here's what is reports back.

Layout: Partition
Type:Basic
File System:NTFS
Capacity:233.76gb
Free Space:120.89gb
%free: 51%
Fault tolerance: No
Overhead:0%

disk 0
basic 233.76gb

Status