• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

liverpool

Beta member
im getting my aunties old computer to put in my room and im deciding whether to leave it as windows 98 or to buy XP home edition and use that instead. i have heared good and bad things about both. Please help me. Also can you give a reason to your choice and not just vote. Thanks!

Don't wanna comment without the system specs....u said its a old computer - If you just want us to tell you about the good and bad things of win98 n winxp....then i guess you are inviting the world's biggest Debate.... I think we could suggest the OS by lookin at the system specs...!

If it's a computer that can handle it, I say Windows XP. I've found XP to be much more stable than 98. On my old computer, I had 98 and there were crashes and blue screens of death and all sorts of problems, but on my new machine with XP, I've had very few problems.

i totally agree, please tell us computer specs. these are my rough estimates

pentium3 or athlon 400Mhz or faster p3 - winXP
celeron or duron 600Mhz or faster - winxp

not even sure they make those in that range, anything less should run win98. i am almost 100% sure your computer is slower than any of that. almost all computers that are made by dell, compaq, HP, ect that have win98 are ancient POS by todays standards.

well you see it comes down to what you like. 98 is very straight forward no glitches or anything. very good computer tech wise. windows xp is more first time computer user friendly. xp is a much simpler OS to work on. i like both actually. for fun stuff like chatting, games that sort of stuff, i prefer xp. for more important things, i turn to 98. the bottom line is which one suits u more. if ur gunna be tryin to just play aroud with games and AIM or sumthing then by far xp. if ur going to be exploring the computer, i prefer 98.

yashar said:
well you see it comes down to what you like. 98 is very straight forward no glitches or anything. very good computer tech wise.

I think I'd have to disagree with that... I found plenty of glitches in 98 but I've seen very few in XP. Just my experience.

Xp makes doing more then one task easier and faster.NTFS is more secure then Fat 32 and slighty more stable.Setting up a Home network is a joy on XP.

Only thing id say is better is FDisk on win 98.I really dont like XP's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom