My Vista Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuThoRitY

Daemon Poster
The past 2 days, I have been experementing with Windows Vista, and have been trying to figure out how to run a dual-boot between Windows XP Pro, and Windows Vista. To have the option of which to boot into. I've totalled formatting 8 times screwing aruond with this trying to get it to work. And finally figured out how and what to do.

Lots of thanks to Warez Monster for some help with this.

I dunno bout some of you guys, but I noob when it comes to running to OS's. I tried to make up a little guide which is below here, I'll just copy and paste. Probably sucks and is pointless to put on here. But this is what I did. And maybe sooner or later it will help one of you....

-------------------------------------------------------------

How to Install Windows XP and Windows Vista for Dual-Booting Purposes

1. First start off by putting in the XP CD, that you will be installing, HOME/PRO/x64 w/e. Now when the option comes up to boot from CD... Press and Key. Once you get into the setup menu.

2. Start my formatting the drive you would like to install both OS's to.

3. Now split the drive into 2 "Seperate Partitions" I have a 80gb That I am running this on so I split mine into 20gb and like 56 or whatever was left for the remaining parition.

4. Now install windows XP to the 2nd Parition. NOT the PRIMARY! Install Windows XP first on the 2nd parition that you made.

5. Now once you go through the process of installing XP blah blah blah,. You now have XP on your 2nd. aka Legacy partition.

6 Now its time to install Vista, pop in the DVD ISO, and run the setup. Install Vista on to the other, the PRIMARY partition that you made through the Windows XP setup. This will go through and setup Vista. Once this is done. And everything is good to go, you will turn on your computer and soon come to a boot screen menu. Mine has the options of ,,, LEGACY Microsoft Windows XP >>>>> Microsoft Windows >>>>>>> And then a backup for my Win XP boot screen.

This is how I configured mine and everything works wonderful. Hopefully if this little tutorial made any sense you can get yours working to.

Again, I am running Windows XP Professional, and Windows Vista build5259 when I did this.

Thanks, -AuThoRitY

---- If any of you would like to see a current SS of how my Vista looks, you can go to it here -----> http://ourworld.cs.com/StrothmaN18/AuThoRitY-vistaBUILD5259.JPG

I think its sex-C. :D

BandwidthHogg said:
Anything different about it that you notice, besides the skin?

I noticed on the 32-bit version its QUICK..its real quick..meaning browsing around your files and such is just instant..viewing thumbnails of images its fast..I could only imagine how much quicker the final release will be and even at that the 64-bit version with a 64-bit CPU..wowza.

Well that is a nice guide but i can already tell where your problem lies. Build 5259 of Vista was leaked and not intended for use. It is buggy, more buggy than all but one other Vista builds. That build was the Winmain 5231 Leak.

I have dual booted XP and Vista successfully many times. With builds 5112, 5219, 5231 (Both of them. The winmain leak and the IDX released version), and now 5270. I have XP as my main partition and Vista as one of my others.

Build 5259 has been known to destroy boot managers and that is why you couldnt do this the way i have. With 5259, once you install it with XP as you primary it destroys the Master Boot Record. The only way to fix it is by inserting you XP CD and going to the recovery console. From there use the command fixmbr and it should restore your XP partition. Just make sure that XP and Vista build 5259 are both NTFS or XP will not be able to be recovered at all.

I hope this has cleared up some info for you on dual booting XP and Vista. If you want to use Vista i would suggest using a different build. 5270 is the current release but builds 5112 and 5219 are far more stable than 5231 and 5259.

another tip.

make 3 partitions with the XP cd. I would do 15, 15 and 46, but you can go 20, 20 and 36. the smaller ones being your OS partitions and the bigger one being your documents folder so you can share the same file on both OS

you can put xp on the first or second partition. after you install xp go to computer management, then disc management under admin tools

set the other partition to active. it will boot you to an empty partition and it will hide the xp partition. install vista, it won't even know xp is there. when you are done, go back to disc management and set the xp partition back to active to get back there

I have recommended this before but alas it still gets the MBR somehow. It was just something about Build 5259 that just didnt work right.

Win2kpatcher said:
I noticed on the 32-bit version its QUICK..its real quick..meaning browsing around your files and such is just instant..viewing thumbnails of images its fast..I could only imagine how much quicker the final release will be and even at that the 64-bit version with a 64-bit CPU..wowza.
indeed

Outperforms Server 2003 on the same hardware and now I'm willing to place a bet it is starting to ourperform XP in certain aspects on the same hardware. What happened to this once bloated and buggy thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom