trying to choose the best CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until you have an operating OS that will utilize the 64bit. I would go with intel. As soon as there is an OS that will utilize the 64 bit I would go with the 64bit. Then again you are coming down to waiting or doing now. Up to you man, Luck.

yeah MS was working on xp 64-bit but then they are also working on that new OS they codenamed "longhorn" so i dunno... they might just abandon xp-64

Ok ive use longhorn pre-release u dont want that OS dude you have to register every thing that = no internet piracy so back to the question go amd athlon xp and the FSB is 1600 MHz on the 64 bit any ways u have to meber that FSB on all athlon bord is double so if its 333MHz its really 666MHz

so amd is a better choice then the intel? and are there ANY advantages in having a am64 processor when runnin a 32 bit os?

I would personally prefer getting am Athlon 64 3000/3200 (not FX, more dollars than sense) with an MSI K8T Neo board, which is surprisingly close to what you'd spend on a P4 3.2 and a good board like an Asus P4P800, Thermaltake have released a Volcano 12 for it, but for most people I'd suggest using the cooling that comes with it (getting it with retail box)
the Radeon 9600 XT performs almost as good as a 9800 XT, so don't waste your money on getting the 9800, when the 9600 is about a quarter to one third of the price, either get the plain 9600, or 9600 XT. MS has released WXP 64 bit edition, though most resellers still do not have it, it's out there.

processor, memory, ect run on independant bus'es. they do not require all run at the same bus speed. memory can run at 400Mhz while processor runs at 333Mhz. there are 2 types of bus'es: physical bus & effective bus

double data rate memory pumps the physical bus to 2x which results in the effective bus speed. example:

pc3200 (also known as DDR400) memory has a physical FSB (front side bus) of 200Mhz. it's actual effective FSB is 400Mhz, which is why it is also known as DDR400. clear enough?

yea ek, but what about this below? it makes it sound like its unique to athlon

BxSlipSk8718 said:
Ok ive use longhorn pre-release u dont want that OS dude you have to register every thing that = no internet piracy so back to the question go amd athlon xp and the FSB is 1600 MHz on the 64 bit any ways u have to meber that FSB on all athlon bord is double so if its 333MHz its really 666MHz

the acual FSB speed on the cpu it uniqe if you using AMD if u basicly if you get pc2700 on an intel bord you would really get 166MHZ and it would say it now with amd it would say 166 but performe double :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom