Dell Operating System Disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

billru44

Baseband Member
Hey,

I have a Dell Dimension 2350 that came w/ Win XP. However, I'm ugrading my system w/ a new HD and need to put the OS back on it. Will I be able to do it w/ this disc?

Just b/c i know XP needs to be activated and it can only be done once. Also, I dont think Dell gave me a CD key or anything like that. The disc isn't like a legit XP disc... looks like some Dell junk. LOL

Thanks

Okay you can do this. After you reinstall XP it will ask for you to activate. Go ahead. You only made changed to the HDD not anything major like a mother board or anythign so you should not get any problems. If you do just call M$ and tell them that you installed a new HDD and new a new key for install.

As for the key it should be on the side or back of the machine somewhere. You should see a little sticker that Dell put on there that has the OS name and serial.

XP activation can be done more than once. I have used the same XP disc for installs more than a dozen times and not once have been asked to activate. It isnt a corp edition either.

The Disc that Dell gave you was just "made" specifically for you machine. What i mean by that is it has most, if not all, the drivers you need to have everything working when XP is fully installed. The disc is catered to your specific machine.

Hope this helps. let me know if you have any more questions.

the dell disc that I have can install xp on any dell and I don't have to activate them. I use to have a gateway cd (I still have the cd, but not the computer) that did the same thing

so what if i want to build a new CPU from scratch. Can I still use that Dell XP OS disc?

Or will i be forced to buy another copy of XP?

Well you can but you will have issues. It might not activate. You would most likely have to call M$ to get a new key or to get it activated at that point.

Makaveli213 said:
Well you can but you will have issues. It might not activate. You would most likely have to call M$ to get a new key or to get it activated at that point.

exactly.

I don't know if the dell will work on another computer beside their own, but the gateway did and you have to activate it. I use use it to fix other people's computers. then when I went to activate it and it wouldn't go through, I would put their original key back in with the change product key option (it wouldn't accept their key during the install, so I would put mine in).

but it never need activation on my gateway

billru44 said:
Hey,

I have a Dell Dimension 2350 that came w/ Win XP. However, I'm ugrading my system w/ a new HD and need to put the OS back on it. Will I be able to do it w/ this disc?

Just b/c i know XP needs to be activated and it can only be done once. Also, I dont think Dell gave me a CD key or anything like that. The disc isn't like a legit XP disc... looks like some Dell junk. LOL

Thanks

isnt it on the side of the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom