Saving files to CD with XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

miccalif

Beta member
I recently upgraded my computer from Windows Me to XP. With 'Me' i was able to save directly to the CD-RW. I could do this with word files, pictures, whatever. Then i could reaccess them, and change things and resave as the same file (like you can normally do with a floppy disk or on the computer). Now with XP and 'CD writing wizard' i cannot directly save a file to the CD. First i have to save it to my computer and then copy it to the CD, and then when I open any files on the CD, they are all 'Read-Only'' files now, and i cannot make any corrections to them. I have tried the help for XP, and all i can get out of that is to copy the files. But i want to be able to again use my rewriteable drive like a floppy disk.
Can anyone please help with this problem.
Thanks a lot.

you need to get a CD burning software like Easy CD/DVD creator or Nero burning ROM 6. they both have that feature. i think they call it directCD and inCD.

if you don't have any third party software, such as easy cd creator simply right click the doc you want to copy the either cut or copy. click on the folders icon and click on your cdrw drive in the panel on the left. then click on the open window on the right and paste. the files will sit waiting to be written to a cd. you simply right click and open to access them again.
or you could format a cd-r or rw disc and leave it in the drive and save to it whenever you want using it as an extra drive. but there really is no reason for you to use the drive in this way, unless of course you're short of hdd space, you may just as well save stuff to your hdd and copy them when and if you need to.

Thanks. With ME I had that software, but then it wasn't compatible with XP. If i get that software you suggested, will I also be able to access my files that are saved to the CD on other computers that do not have the same software? The reason I'm curious, is with ME & the Adaptec sofware it had, i wasn't able to use it on other computers that didn't have that, but then again i also had a lot of other problems with ME, so that might be why it wouldn't work.

I have the same question but got confused on the answer -
"the files will sit waiting to be written to a cd. you simply right click and open to access them again." Access them for what? I want to burn it onto the CD-R(W) which I have done but every time I click on the file to open it I get the 'cannot open because it exists as a Read-Only file. Please make the file Read-Writable and then try opening it again' message. I tried to get into the properties but it won't let me change it from Read-Only.

I tried using Nero (don't know which version, but it came with the HP desktop) and I get the same message. I used the wizard and it doesn't give me a choice of changing the property.

To originally save the file from hard drive to cd, I went into My Computer, copied the file to E:, clicked on E: then it shows up under "Files Ready to be Written to the CD" and then I clicked "Write these files to CD" under CD Writing Tasks.

I'm trying to help someone out with this - because I don't have this problem with my computer at home! ;)

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom