Windows 2000 Server hangs, won't reinstall, STOP 0000007B

Status
Not open for further replies.

xr280xr

Baseband Member
Hi,
A Windows 2000 server I'm working on is extremely slow. It takes like an hour to open control panel or to do pretty much anything. So I thought I'd try the repair function of the Win 2000 Server CD. When I put in the cd, it begins doing it's thing loading files or drivers or whatever and then gives me a blue screen saying STOP 0x000078 BOOT DEVICE NOT FOUND or something like that. So I can't even repair/reinstall the OS from the CD. I've scanned for viruses and found none. Is the hard drive going bad or a bad configuration or corrupted boot sector or what? The only things installed are the OS, McAfee, software for the UPS, and some tape backup scheduler. Any ideas? Thanks!

sounds like the hard drive may be ready to take a crap...have ran a chkdsk on it to see if it comes up with any errors or bad sectors?

Ya check disk reported no errors, and the SMART technology is not reporting anything. I don't suspect the hard drive because it takes it so long to POST as well.

It's about 4 years old. They're gonna replace it, I'm just still curious what's wrong w/ it. Could be the processor, there was sooo much dust in the case, maybe it was getting too hot? Thanks for the ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom