What to look for in a CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeIranianKid

In Runtime
My new build is limiting my choice of monitor and went with a better computer rather than a nice flat screen so what should i be looking for in a CRT monitor

For CRT, this is good:
19" or bigger
.24mm dot pitch (if it's 19")
Flat picture tube
Good refresh rates, usually 85Hz @ 1280x1024, 75Hz @ 1600x1200. The higher the refresh rate, the better.

No lower is not better. If it's to low then text gets all blury. .24mm is generally best for a 19" I love my monitor so much, 1280x1024 @100Hz, 1600x1200 @ 85Hz, 1920x1440 @ 76Hz :) Generally speaking, you never want to go under 72Hz, otherwise you can see flickering and it strains your eyes and gives you a headache. You can still see tearing over 72Hz however, you don't really get tear free motion with anything under 100Hz. That's why I play all my games at 1024x768, because 1. They all run really fast :D and 2. I can play at 120Hz.

003 said:
No lower is not better. If it's to low then text gets all blury. .24mm is generally best for a 19" I love my monitor so much, 1280x1024 @100Hz, 1600x1200 @ 85Hz, 1920x1440 @ 76Hz :) Generally speaking, you never want to go under 72Hz, otherwise you can see flickering and it strains your eyes and gives you a headache. You can still see tearing over 72Hz however, you don't really get tear free motion with anything under 100Hz. That's why I play all my games at 1024x768, because 1. They all run really fast :D and 2. I can play at 120Hz.

I thought that smaller was better. http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/d/dot_pitch.html I want your monitor 003.

Yes the lower the better the IMAGE. Text is really blury with .20mm I have seen it at stores. LOL you really can't have my monitor! It was discontinued for some reason!

It seems like they are discontinuing a great number of CRTs. As the response time gets lower and the contrast ratio gets higher, gamers are becomming a bit more open to LCDs, while before most (and many still) insist on CRTs. I think as soon as LCD makers really address the native-resolution issue, we will see tons of gamers make the switch. Flat panels are the future and CRTs are being slowly phased out.

BandwidthHogg said:
It seems like they are discontinuing a great number of CRTs. As the response time gets lower and the contrast ratio gets higher, gamers are becomming a bit more open to LCDs, while before most (and many still) insist on CRTs. I think as soon as LCD makers really address the native-resolution issue, we will see tons of gamers make the switch. Flat panels are the future and CRTs are being slowly phased out.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom