Mystery Shutdown Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

climbjm

Solid State Member
I am pretty much new at building my own PC's and I have finally run into my first large problem.

I have finished putting everything together, boot it up and after about 1-2 minutes of being turned on, and I just start the windows installation process (or I am in bio) either way it shuts the computer off. I turned it back on and in the system information screen in bios it said that the processors temperature is 32 Degreee Cel and the systems temp is 24 degrees cel. Neither of those are both hot enough to shut it down are they?

I am wondering if it does have do to with the power supply.
Let me know what you think.
(new everything. machine is a desktop, running mobile processor)

Ok, so I think it is the processor. I rebooted the computer and went straight into BIO's again and this time, it showed the system at about the same temp, but the processors was at about 74 degrees cels.

YIKES!

Anyways, I took the heat sync off of it, and the heat sync is not touching the processor. Is this because it is a mobile processor rather then being a plain dekstop processor (or are they they same size?)

Maybe you installed the heatsink incorrectly. I do not know much anything about the difference between mobile cpus and normal cpus but you should checkout the size differences and make sure you have the right heatsink.

If you have found the problem and are able to fix it by adjusting how you install the heatsink great. If that doesn't fix it, I had a similar issue with my old computer when the power supply was failing. It would shut down for absolutely no reason, very annoying. New power supply completely fixed my issue.

Make sure the heatsink is appropriate for that processor and use a thermal compound such as Arctic Silver 5 between the heatsink and processor. Ideally, there will be no gaps or air bubbles between teh two and you will have optimal heat transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom