Power supply enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
16 seems a bit low for the needs of your configuration (especially since you already have two extremely power-hungry components - the P4 and the GF6 card). Consider putting in some money towards a higher quality power supply, both with higher current and power capacity.

cool ill do that, i just opened my case and set a fan blowing directly into it, it lowered the temps on the cpu down to 67 idle... im about to try day of defeat again and see what happens

is it possible that the temperature reading is off?

Most motherboards read the temperature off the P4's internal thermal diode (rather than at the processor's base), but there's always a small chance that the reading may be off. What I would do is take out the processor cooler completely, clean off any dust that may have built up over time in it and make sure that there is good contact between the processor and cooling device (e.g. a thin layer of thermal paste over the top of the processor's heat spreader).

If you wish, you can invest in some thermal paste rather than use the pad that comes with the retail cooler.... a medium-sized tube of Arctic Silver thermal paste shouldn't run for more than $10 at most places..... just be sure to completely scrape/clean off remnants of the thermal pad first before applying it.

By the way, is your processor by any chance based on the Prescott core (you can tell since it differs from the older Northwood core by the 1 MB of level 2 cache and the "E" designation)? Those have been known to be heat demons, but still, 67C at idle is a bit high.

It is a prescott and ive also heard they tend to have heat problems, i just played that game for a couple hours straight with no problems, i really think it is running too hot.

What do you recommend for an aftermarket fan for the cpu, im using nvsilencer for the GT and i love it its so quiet and made it run cooler so i could OC.

I have a Asus Star Ice on my P4 and it works very well.
Also, just as a tip....you always want a good power supply....
The heavier the better because it usually means better transformers...I cheaped out on a 400watt power supply and it literally fried my sound blaster card.

I have a TURBO-COOL® 510 ATX. They also carry a 1100 watt power supply which seems like the only one out on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom