Graphics problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephen_s

Baseband Member
Leadtek 6600gt 128mb AGP
1gb 3200 ddr sdram
3300+ AMD Athlon 64

My computer was running games fine until recently. Now when I play World of Warcraft or Battlefield 2 I have problems. In World of Warcraft after about an hour, the terrain will disappear and and game will get really laggy. After I restart the game it works again but only for a certain amount of time before the problem repeats. In Battlefield 2 I have a similar problem. After about an hour too the screen will either go completely black or everything but the gun will go black for a few seconds. Then it will go back to normal but it will do it again after 30 seconds or a minute and eventually crash to the desktop. I also play counter strike which works fine. The graphics card is not overclocked. Could it be a power supply problem? Mine is 350w and I don't have any other cards in the computer. Could the graphics card be overheating? Does anyone know what could be wrong?

You can RMA it for a new one, as overheating issues are a sign of a faulty card.

EDIT: or you can purchase a aftermarket heatsink.

I bought it off newegg and have had it since march, could I still exchange it? Also what is involved in putting in another heatsink?

Thanks for all the help. Apparently, since it has been less than a year I can send it back for a replacement, however, I'm not sure if to do that I need to have the original box and other stuff because I don't. I know that if you want a refund you have to have that stuff but does anyone know for an exchange if I need it?

Uninstall your current Nvidia drivers and cleaan the registry. Install the latest Nvidia drivers and then do what The Major is suggesnting. In the Nvidia panel, manual clock that card down about 25mhz on each side. My 6800gt is 350/1000, so i would set it at 325/975. See what happens. If it is still overheating??? you might want to make sure that your fan is always turned on in the Nvidia panel and that your power supply is in good shape. Swap out the power supply with a friends of equal or better wattage and then run BF2 for awhile and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom