Motherboard Headers

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyDevil07

Baseband Member
I'm thinking about building my first computer and I'm wondering what the point of all the headers on motherboards are for. I see motherboards with many headers and some without. I know there are headers for many different parts but what do they do and should I want a motherboard with more headers, certain headers, or do they not matter. Also on some web pages do they have them listed as connectors or ports? Thanks.

Also if it could be explained to me some of the different headers and what I can connect to them and what it does for my PC it would help a lot.

I'm talking about things like USB headers, FDD headers, IDE headers, IEEE 1394 headers, RAID headers, SATA 3.0Gb/s headers. Are these what I'm connecting my internal drives and components to?

Yes, you have to make sure to get a CPU (processor) that fits in the socket the motherboard uses.
You need IDE (ATA or PATA) hard disks to connect to a motherboard with IDE controller, or SATA hard disks to connect to the SATA connection on a motherboard. Most motherboards come with both so you can choose wich hard disk type to buy, preferably SATA.

IEEE 1394 = FireWire. You can connect things like camera's or external hard disks. Same with USB. USB is more widely used.
FDD is a connection for a floppy disk drive.

What are you going to use the computer for? Gaming? Office?

What's your budget? There's plenty of people on here with knowledge about the most recent parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom