ATHLON 64 x2 vs. intel Pentium D 830

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, the Intel in that test even had DDR2 RAM @ 667 MHz while the AMD only had DDR @ 400 MHz. AMD absolutely destroyed the Intel. This is the reason my new desktop will be using an AMD, even though it's not a dual core.

How come AMD supported boards only seem to take DDR RAM 3200 , and not DDR2. Also Am I to believe that someone mentioned before that the number after the AMD processor like Athlon 3200 , that the 3200 is actually the clock speed (3.2 ghz) and not the advertised 2.0 ghz i see. So am i to believe that the Athlon 4800+ X2 has a clock speed of 4.8 GHZ ??? Get out of town . !!!!

No, the number means what the equivilant speed of an intel CPU. For example the 1.8GHz 3000+ venice is equal to a 3.0GHz pentium 4. I'm not sure how the dual core CPUs work, but the 4800+ has two physical cores each running at 2.4GHz, so it seems AMD just multiplied 2.4 by two and moved the decmial over. And yeah, AMD only supports DDR, intel supports DDR2, but it really makes no difference as the tests show. The intel PC they used was using DDR2 667 ram and the amd was using ddr400, and you see how badly they beat intel :D

AGH!!!!!!!!

Duel Core doesn't mean you can add the two cores into one speed. Each core is 2.4 Ghz on a 4800+. This is more than enough since they splite the workload. Sorry but people just keep assuming and it becomes annoying.

As for the DDR ram there is a new type of AMD Processors using M8 that will be released Q2 2006 that support DDR2. The current AMD Processors are much better than intel even with their DDR2 RAM and currently you will often find DDR2 overpriced.

AMD is dedicated to providing innovative and inexpensive ways to increase product performance...most people would say that the most significant innovation in AMD64 cores is the 64 bit instruction capabilities...but they are wrong

AMD has built the memory controller directly into the core rather than previous architecture that constructed it within the northbridge...this means that there is no longer a low frequency bus needed to connect the processor to the memory controller as they are intertwined and the FSB is effectively the speed of the core itself

This leads to direct access to the memory, known as Hypertransport or previously Lightning Data transfer...a high speed low latency bus that is capable of delivering up to 22GB/sec bandwidth...in the case of DDR400 memory the memory bandwidth is roughly 6.4GB/sec rather than the "standard" 3.2GB/sec that DDR400 would normally deliver if the memory controller was situated on the northbridge

Intel architecture still uses the traditional northbridge and FSB concept therefore the memory is still limited based on the communication required between numerous points...therefore AMD is able to utilize slower operating, cheaper memory modules to provide the same bandwidth as faster, more expensive modules that Intel uses

A processors clock frequency is no longer an accurate way of determining its power as a clock cycle simply refers to a single operation, however one operation is only as powerful as how many instructions it can perform. AMD architecture has allowed AMD to use slower clock speeds, however they perform more instructions per cycle therefore they compete competetively with faster clocked processors

An Athlon 3200+ really is 2GHz, but it performs roughly the same as an Intel pentium 4 processor operating at 3.2GHz...a dual core processor is a bit more complicated...that processor rating refers the Intel dual core processor that the AMD would compete competetively in multithreaded applications...therefore a 4800+ would perform roughly the same as a 4.8Ghz Pentium D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom