Need help with upgrade graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ordered a Sapphire ATI 9800 Pro, 128mb 4x/8x agp card from newegg. The 6600 GT was sold out everywhere, in the 4x/8x model, and all that was left was the 8x card.

Hopefully it will work, will find out next week.

Thanks for the input and help!

Okies, well I am back!

I just received the card via ups, and have a few more ?'s I should have asked before I bought the thing.

Just cracked the case and started diggin' (I am a NON techy btw) and it appears my pwer supply is only 250W max.

Since I know nothing about putting in a new video card, and the one currently in has no fan, I am a bit lost on where to connect the fan.

The package came without the owner manual :(

There appears to be a 3 prong on the mobo for an extra fan. Figure this is where I connect the fan, right?

Next, I notice that in the slot under my current video card, is my network card in the first pci slot. Will that need to be moved? There is an open slot at the bottom.

garsh, so many ?'s, with so few brain cells to work with! :p

On the up side, I am learning more and more, and might be able to build one next year at this rate!

thanks

Erm, your 9800 Pro should (from what I remember about my own 9800 Pro) have a 4-pin molex connector. Basically it's the same connection to your hard drive, cd rom, yada yada. The plug should come from your power supply, so just find a spare one and shove it in, although 250W is quite low.

Edit:

Oh sorry wait you meant the fan, my bad.

There should be a socket on the graphics card for that.

thanks. I am tryin to do this without destroying my PC, as it is the only one I have atm.

Will give it a go, and hope for the best!

One more question, if I may?

If I were to put in a new power supply, what would I need to consider?

It is a 20 pin, at least that is what I counted when I took it out to look visually. Will any 20 pin PS work? Or, is there a power restriction I need to consider with my mobo? If I upgrade to 450W PS or so, will it be okay with my components and mobo?

Assuming that those things only take what they need, but wanted to make sure before I fry something :)

edit: Also, the 9800pro is installed as of now, and no probs thus far......will test it out on a game later. Not sure how I find out the temp it's running at though. Might put in a slot fan in the back of my PC, to help, later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom