Boot eathier XP or Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuThoRitY

Daemon Poster
I have my 80gb, HDD partitioned in 2 places, a 15,000 just got the BETA of Vista, and a 63,000 or something for the XP installation I have.

When I power on my computer it boots straight to XP, and it doesn't ask me to boot into Vista,

How can I make it ask me whether to boot into XP or Vista...

Help would be excellent,

SRY BUT TYLER PLEASE STAY OUT OF MY THREADS!

What does you boot.ini look like ?
You just need the alternate OS string in the .ini file and it should allow the system to recognize another bootable os.

Hmmm, I dunno.. I'm on diff. comp right now, I'll run upstairs and post it, but how would I change it ? Or add it,,, or figure out what to add?

Save a Backup Copy of Boot.ini
1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
-or-
Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
3. Under System Startup, click Edit. This opens the file in Notepad ready for editing.
4. In Notepad, click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save As.
5. Right click in an empty area of the Save As dialog box, point to New in the Context menu, and then click Folder.
6. Type a name for the new folder, for example temp, and then press the ENTER key to create the folder named temp.
7. Double-click the new folder named temp, and then click the Save button to save a backup copy of the Boot.ini file.

Edit the Boot.ini File
To view and edit the Boot.ini file: 1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
-or-
3. Under System Startup, click Edit.

Sample Boot.ini File
This is a sample of a default Boot.ini file from a Windows XP Professional computer.
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
This is a sample of the above Boot.ini file with a previous installation of Windows 2000 on a separate partition.
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Modifying the Boot.ini
While you can modify the Boot.ini file using the Startup and Recovery dialog, where you can select the default operating system, change the timeout value, or manually edit the file, the following method uses the command line utility, Bootcfg.exe. 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open text box, type cmd.
3. At the command prompt, type bootcfg /?.
4. The help and parameters for BOOTCFG.exe will display.

Adding an Operating System
At the command prompt, type:
bootcfg /copy /d Operating System Description /ID#
Where Operating System Description is a text description (e.g. Windows XP Home Edition), and where # specifies the boot entry ID in the operating systems section of the BOOT.INI file from which the copy has to be made.

Removing an Operating System
bootcfg /delete /ID#
Where # specifies the boot entry ID that you want to be deleted from the operating systems section of the BOOT.INI file (e.g. 2 for the second Operating system that is listed.

Setting the Default Operating System
bootcfg /default /ID#
Where # specifies the boot entry id in the operating systems section of the BOOT.INI file to be made the default operating system.

Setting the Time Out
At the command prompt, type: bootcfg /timeout# Where # specifies the time in seconds after which default operating system will be loaded.

Open the Boot.ini File to Verify Changes
1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
-or-
3. Under System Startup, click Edit.

Oh, Ok... ty ty Warez, currenttly all I can find is the backup and it says..

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

you can look at it in msconfig, start, run, type msconfig, go to the boot.ini tab...post it here so we can see

Ok, heres a link to an SS of my "msconfig" boot.ini, its vista, I tried doing the thing through command prompt and im like screwing up, lol... I'm running style xp so theres a backup of my boot screen thing in there, I also don't know the ID for my new OS???? it says it neesd a /id# thing... anywhere here

1 sec gotta uplaod

http://ourworld.cs.com/StrothmaN18/boot.JPG

boot.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom