Problem installing graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceInvader75

Solid State Member
I installed a EVGA FX 5200 card in my system tonight and I seem to be having a problem with the drivers. When the system boots up it is in the crappy VGA mode and although Windows 2000 shows the card is installed in device manager, it does not show the card under display settings and the nvidia desktop manager will not open. I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them again and I am still having no luck getting this card to work properly and stuck in really crappy graphics mode. Not sure what to do now.

No, if I had forgotten to plug my monitor in I would see nothing at all. I can see graphics, but they are limited to 16 color, and I can barely read stuff, so I put the Matrox card back in and I think I see part of the problem: When I put my old video card in it looks like drivers are still installed for it, even though I thought I uninstalled it. Maybe I shouldn't have used control panel to do this.

I'm not sure if I uninstalled the drivers under device manager. I guess I can try that and see if it works. I downloaded the Matrox uninstaller and uninstalled the Matrox card and reinstalled the FX5200 drivers but when I reboot I get an error message from the Install Shield wizzard that says Setup has experienced an error, and the display stays in 16 color mode. Anyone know why this would happen?

SpaceInvader75 said:
I'm not sure if I uninstalled the drivers under device manager. I guess I can try that and see if it works. I downloaded the Matrox uninstaller and uninstalled the Matrox card and reinstalled the FX5200 drivers but when I reboot I get an error message from the Install Shield wizzard that says Setup has experienced an error, and the display stays in 16 color mode. Anyone know why this would happen?
uh, cause there's an error:eek:

I'm at a loss, let us know what it turns out to be once you get it figured out.

Well I finally got it to work. I made sure that I uninstalled everything from device manager and booted in VGA mode. I still got an error when I rebooted but it seems to be working anyway.

I do experience some lag on Battlefield 1942. That's the only game I have to test my system out on. It is an older system and I knew it would take a long time to load because I only have 256 MB. However, after it loads, it seems to be running fast, but on some maps the screen will keep freezing up for a couple of seconds. I will list my specs, but I don't think this should be happening because they are more than the minimum requirements for the game.

Intel P4, 1.5ghz, 256kb L2
256 MB 800mhz ECC RDRAM
18.2 GB Ultra 160 SCSI HD
GeForce FX 5200 card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom