Amd 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

windhorse

Beta member
Any thoughts on whether I should wait for the new AMD CPU to be released sometime Q2 of 2006? I've read they're moving to DDR2 and a different pin set.

Socket M2 will be revising the K8 architecture with Revision F...which basically means modifying the memory controller for DDR2 support, however, from my understanding, RevF memory controllers will be capable of supporting both DDR1 and DDR2 therefore it is likely there will be backwards compatibility...of course your processor would most likely be bottlenecked as AMD is using DDR2-667 standard and the current DDR1 standard is DDR400

That said, socket M2 is being hugely overhyped. It's still using K8 architecture with the only difference being support for DDR2...however with AMD64 LDT bus your benefits over DDR1 will be minimal and I suspect the reason AMD has migrated to DDR2 has been pressure from memory manufacturers to do so...furthermore DDR2 still has poor ICs and terrible latency issues making it a poor memory platform altogether

The only relatively interesting thing to RevF processors is Socket S1 which refers to a low pincount socket designed for mobile processors. Based on the AMD roadmap and based on what current Turion specifications are one can speculate S1 will be the breeding ground for the next XP-M style family which of course means unrivaled overclockability...however with so much success with numerous cores (eg Winchester, Venice, Venus) I don't know if there will ever be another mobile family of processors like the XP-Ms and their infamous overclocking

What am I getting at? Socket M2 is nothing different from Socket T...different pincount and a different memory platform, but performance wise, not much of a difference. Don't get tricked into what many people already believe. You would be better getting a socket 939 processor now as they're very capable and very affordable and then waiting for K9 and DDR3 or XDR

M2 cores will also be pricey

Thanks for the advice. Maybe you'll provide some more... I have 2 grand (monitor not included) to spend on a computer. My work is predominately GIS, remote sensing, and cartography. I'm thinking about building a custom computer through Monarch. Any advice on a build for that dollar range?

DDR2 is often overpriced
A new processor of course will be overpriced

in the end you are not getting bang for the buck. Gaara has me interested though how long till K9 and DDR3 make their way into Processors?

Just to follow up on this...the current roadmap for Socket M2 is as follows:

Dual core codename Windsor:
Athlon X2 5000+
Athlon X2 4800+
Athlon X2 4600+
Athlon X2 4400+
Athlon X2 4200+
Athlon FX-60
Athlon FX-62

Single core codename Orleans:
Athlon 4000+
Athlon 3800+
Athlon 3500+

There's also a line of Sempron processors for M2 but I won't get into those...as you can see the initial M2 lineup isn't much different than the current AMD processors availible, the only notable mentions are the FX-62 and 5000+, and of course any of todays processors can be overclock beyond those speeds fairly easily

Socket M2 won't start to get the least bit useful until it matures a bit, I'd say 6 months to a year...by then we should see 65nm fabrications and some newer core revisions and seperation from the current K8 cores...so if you're thinking of buying M2 right away it's not really a good idea

One thing to note is that M2 cores are Pacifica enabled...I have no idea what this means though and haven't found any information on what this technology is so I don't know if it's a particular benefit to anything

That said, socket 939 is still on the roadmap for Q1 2007...although one can assume that will be limited to Semprons, it still shows the potential 939 has

Gaara has me interested though how long till K9 and DDR3 make their way into Processors?
I'm thinking 2008-2009ish but I honestly have no idea

Any advice on a build for that dollar range?
I'd personally look at getting:

AMD Athlon 64 X2
DFI Lanparty
6600GT
2GB of memory

Pick out a power supply and what size drives you need and I think that would suit you well and leave some extra cash in your pocket for future upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom