Dell Power Up Issue!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanServer

Baseband Member
Hello,
I am reparing a Dell Dimension 4600 for a client and am having some issues. The problem is that the computer will not power up. I am sure that it is not the Power Supply because I have tried several and none work and the light on the motherboard indicating power is on. It is also not the button. I have followed the power button cords and attempted to short those 2 pins and that also didnt work. I am new to problems like this and am wondering what else it could be or what are some other ways that i can attempt to narrow down what the problem is.
Any suggestions would be fantastic...

Thankyou,
ICS

Not some techie but, it could be that A) something is wrong with the motherboard B) something is wrong with the harddrive...

"Dude! you're going to D*Hell*!!..."

.... Or C (which should be A) something is ON the motherboard that shouldn't be there. if your power light comes on for like; a fraction of a second, that could be something like a loose screw, a hair, anything that can drain power from the PSU connectors on the mobo. If the power light dosn't come on at all, it's a Dell!

Either that, or there is something wrong with the switch it'self maybe not connected right, or the cord shorted out in there.
:( :cool:

Yeah was going to suggest that something was wrong with the switch but didnt want him to think I was implying he was stupid or anything because he said he had checked it.

Hi, thanks for the replies guys...
I might not have stated it correctly but there is a light on the MOTHERBOARD that is on right when you plug the power supply into the power. It is not the switch. And it is not the power supply. Could be the motherboard.

Any other suggestions ...

Thanks,
ICS

Well, it seems that that PC is not POSTING. So here you go.
Are there any BIOS Beep Codes? - They are also on that list.

Here is a link to the Dimension 4600 LED Light Diagnostic's
The LEDs on on the back near the I/O plate. There should be (4) of them. Plug in the PSU and press the power button. Then look at the 4 sets of lights. Passed Post will be 4 solid green lights. Find out what light patterns you see and compare them to this chart.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600i/sm/adtshoot.htm#1112886

Just my prediction;

I bet you'll find that you'll see (2) Green Lights followed by (2) Yellow.
This is the Code for a memory issue. Either the memory is shot, or the memory slot or memory bus is shot. You'd still get power to the mobo, but it will not post and no fans will move. If you have more then 1 memory module & dimm slots, try only using one module, and move it around to different Dimm slots if you have 2 or 4. Keep tyring to boot.

Well thanks for all the ideas,

I have decided to get a new motherboard which fortunately wont cost me much

Thanks,
ICS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom