AMD 2400+ & Asus A7V8X

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomadfemme

Beta member
I read somewhere on a British site which I cannot find again that the Asus A7V8X Mobo unlocks the 2400 without connecting bridges or any form of adjustment to CPU.
Does anyone know if this is correct, Also I want to overclock CPU a little not too much and would also like to overclock the FSB.
I do not want a huge increase to the point of instability or to have to clock it back to find it's sweet spot, I understand that all CPU's are different and some can be lucky/unlucky with CPU's clockability.
What I'm asking for is some pointers as to the settings I need to adjust and maybe a few configs with specs/settings that are not high.
Also this might make all the difference with FSB overclocking I have currently 256MB DDR PC266 SDRAM Memory does this mean I cannot overclock the FSB anyway as I have a sneaky feeling it might.
Any help is welcome.
Thanx
Sam
I really would like to overclock the FSB if possible.
:user:

I would check this site:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1696

While it might look great at first glance, gaining unofficial DDR400 support for Athlon XP-based systems is hardly anything too special. There are some perfectly good reasons why DDR400 is essentially useless for Athlon XP systems.

The first reason is simple; the Athlon's FSB allows no more than a peak bandwidth of 2.1GB/s (this 2.1GB/s of bandwidth is achieved through the Athlon's double pumped 266MHz FSB). Knowing that DDR400 memory (also know as PC3200) has a peak theoretical bandwidth of ~ 3.2 GB/s, you can see that a lot of that bandwidth is simply unnecessary. Even DDR333 (PC2700) memory, which offers a peak bandwidth of 2.7GB/s, essentially adds, at best, a few percentage points to application performance compared to previous DDR266 (PC2100)-powered Athlon XP platforms.

why get a 2400+ while you could get a 2800+ ?

Hmmmm, how about much more expensive for not much more real world performance.

I would never buy the latest and greatest proc thats out at any time.

I Have a ASUS A7V600 and DDR400 ram--
AMD 2600+ BARTON
I bios i can set ram to DDR 400/333

With DDR 400 enabled i get more :

-PC MARKS
-MORE POINTS IN SANDRA
MY AIDA 32 RAM IS A BIT BETTER AND FPS IN GAMES ARE UP A LITTLE BIT.

SO I AM SAYING THE EXTRA BANDWIDTH SEEMS TO WORK FOR ME.

sorry for the caps..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom