6800GT vs ATI 9800

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMayorsCronie

Baseband Member
I got my 6800GT last night and gave it a try. The fps were about the same as my Radeon 9800 but the GT was on high graphics and the radeon was on low. They both get about 70 fps on HL2 in the clear and about 30-40 fps in smoke and close battle. The Radeon however always locked up probably b/c of driver problems and I tried pretty much every driver out there for it and nothing worked. I'm thinking of sending the GT back and figuring out some sort of driver situation for the Radeon. Any suggestions?

AMD Athlon XP 3200+
Soyo KT880 Dragon2
1 GB Corsair DDR
80 GB Western Digital HD
ATI Radeon 9800 AGP8X

The 6800 kills the 9800... it has double the pipes, and GDDR3 memory.

I was going to say that too, the 6800 is much newer than the 9800 and is far from the budget end of the spectrum.

Take a look at benchmarks on the net or try running them yourself. Although older games wont show much difference, both cards are capable of running CS or UT, but newer games should show a significant difference in performance - the rest of your PC isn't too sluggish by any means so it's not like there will be much of a bottleneck.

$200 difference though? I can't find anyway to get the 9800 to run. The GT is sent back b/c of budget issues but I was extremely impressed with it. Theres not that much of a difference on CS:Source from high to low graphics on my old CRT monitor so I really just wanna get my 9800 working until I can afford the GT again. Omega drivers didn't work that good. : /

why dont you return it then?

are you sure your 9800pro isnt overeheating or anything

Dude the 6800GT owns the 9800. Just take a look at what your saying. Your playing on low settings w/ the 9800 and high on the 6800GT. Keep the GT man or else i will officialy call you an idiot. And yes there is a BIG difference between high and low.

if he has no money and he is ok playing on low settings then return it. or you could just return it and get like a 6800GS which is only 100 dollars more when it DOES come out in AGP if it will EVER come out in AGP

PZEROFGH said:
if he has no money and he is ok playing on low settings then return it. or you could just return it and get like a 6800GS which is only 100 dollars more when it DOES come out in AGP if it will EVER come out in AGP

unlikely, we are now going to be forced to get PCI-Express whether we like it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom