How Do I Go About Installing Windows Xp Via Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
How do I go about installing Wndows XP via a network?

Reason why I ask this is that I got a laptop computer, and the optical drive does not work.

I have noticed that there is a boot from Network Option. So how do i got about doing a clean install via the network?

You can copy your entire installation CD via the network to your laptop.
Put the entire CD contents eg. in a folder called c:\xp
Provided you have enough space available on your hd, installation can be
initiated from within windows98 by browsing to c:\xp\i386 and then
double-clicking winnt32.exe
From there on everything works as if initiated from CD.
If you can afford it, leave the structure c:\xp in place after installation.
The setup process 'remembers' where it was installed from and will point you
there automatically if you need to add stuff later on.

another way

install xp through network

share your cd rom on your desktop pc.
open the cd through the network with your laptop

make sure you check new installation and not upgrade. click advance and select "I select the partitions" and copy installation file fronm the cd
Under "To this folder on my hard drive" is listed "\WINDOWS", change this to "\WINXP" (or whatever you want) and then click "OK".

windows will restart when you get to f8 agree
press "ESC" to continue the parallel install.

Now use the up and down arrow keys to select the partition you want to install into. Press "ENTER" once selected to continue. use the same partition as the previous operating system.

Windows will now ask you to confirm the install. If you are satisfied with your decision then press "C". ignore that multiple OS on 1 partition babble

Now you will be asked if you wish to format the drive, select "Leave the current file system intact (no changes)" and press "ENTER"
Windows will now warn you that the Windows directory already has an operating system, press "ESC" to select a different folder.

You will now be asked to change the folder that Windows installs into. change it to what you named it above in this case "\WINXP"
Press enter once changes have been made to continue.

When it's done with this it will go through a regular install.

I learned to do this the hard way. somebody sold me a laptop it had a bios password, which he told me that. but it had a administrative password that you need to change the boot sequence so you can boot from cd. the guy didn't know that password, he had to call his technician who wouldn't be in until the next day.

Being the tech that I am I refuse to go to bed until I learn how to do this. I learn 3 ways. kinda like warez's way (I install it from the desktop to the laptop drive C partition), my way and another way in which you choose to overwrite those file in the "\WINDOWS" folder.

I installed windows and he call me the next day with the password, I told him that I didn't need it.

Warez Monster said:
You can copy your entire installation CD via the network to your laptop.
Put the entire CD contents eg. in a folder called c:\xp
Provided you have enough space available on your hd, installation can be
initiated from within windows98 by browsing to c:\xp\i386 and then
double-clicking winnt32.exe
From there on everything works as if initiated from CD.
If you can afford it, leave the structure c:\xp in place after installation.
The setup process 'remembers' where it was installed from and will point you
there automatically if you need to add stuff later on.
I wish I knew that 4 years ago. Thanks!

EricB, thank you for your input too.

This thread just saved my ass this morning.
Boss Man screw over his workstation yesterday, and I need to install our Action back version of Windows Xp Pro back onto his box. The problem was that I brought the wrong disk with me to work.

Actually, it did not save me on the first computer that I was working on as the Windows Vista install was stuff up. But the second one that I have to pacify today work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom