Restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian

Beta member
My self built computer restarts sometimes and it can become quite bothersome. It only happens when I am copying large amounts of data off a CD, peak usage of everything. It just restarts when my CD-ROM is at full bore and my CPU is running <90%. Immediatly after the restart I checked my BIOS and the the CPU temp was 56*C(a little warm but with-in range). I have a 550W PS so I highly doubt thats the problem because its an awsome amount of power and the same thing happens with my 350W PS I tried. Any solutions? If you need more info just ask.

What processor are u running Brian .. . If it's a P4 .. then the CPU temp is way too high ..

If it's an AMD it's a little high .. but not that high to restart the machine ..

Easy way to confirm this is a heat problem , would be to Keep monitoring temp n' then start zipping some large file (may be a big video file or somethin')

I'm running an Athlon XP 2500+.

My BIOS shutdown temp is disabled so that cannot be it. I have HWDOCTOR and the temp barely changes. I run some more tests and stuff.

It seems something too heat, but not only CPU, perhaps your visual card, mainboard, harddisk, ram, etc.
copy cd or peak usage all need to use harddisk and ram storage, and large amount of data procession would also heat the data bus in the mainboard...
perhaps you need to cool down your machine completely :p

Alright I just zipped over 2 gigs of data, my CPU temp maxed out at 66*C. After that I used Nero to make an iso image. CPU usage was at about 5% according to Windows performance meter and my CPU temp was around 57*C, then it restarted. So eveidently my CD-ROM if the key factor here.

perhaps working CD-ROM consums more power, cause your PSU too heat or go beyond its ability. It needs a much bigger fan.

I don't think there could be a power issue .. 'coz a 550W PSu can definately handle the system..

Now i would suspect the video card .. .. what display card are u running ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom